1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4i Gold problem

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by maffa50, Nov 14, 2012.

1. maffa50

maffa50 New Member

I just bought an R4i Gold thing for Nintendo DSi and can't seem to get it to work.
    I've never used anything like this before so my knowledge of this kind of thing is null.

When I turn on my DSi after plugging it in, it shows 'Narnia: Prince Caspian' where the R4i should be on the menu.
    When I select the game I get an error screen saying "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for details."

The only thing I have on the SD card is what I believe to be the latest kernal, although I'm not entirely sure as I've tried about 4 different kernals that each have been said to be the latest.

Any point in the right direction would be much appreciated :D

I'm using Windows Vista, if it makes much of a difference.
    Also Nintendo software should be up to date.

EDIT: Just read the 'to avoid' list... Feel like a bit of a tard now...

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Suggestion:
    1. Write the complete name of the R4 (see cart's body)
    2. Cart's picture (take photo or google it)
    3. Official website (check on the sticker or box)
    4. Cart's firmware (maybe even list the SD Micro's content)
    To know, either open the files inside the SD Micro, or run it on the DSi.
    5. DSi's firmware

Your long written OP isn't much to help you. But your issues could be caused by either of these;
    1. Wrongly updated flash cart firmware
    2. The DSi firmware been updated to the latest but the R4 hasn't been updated

For no.1, find the correct firmware by checking the official website as per mentioned in the sticker or box that came with it. For no.2, if you had updated the DSi to the latest but didn't update the R4 before doing that, well....you'll need an NDSL or DSi that isn't yet updated to the latest firmware. Make sure to update the R4i first all the time before even updating the DSi. Else it will be blocked.

3. maffa50

maffa50 New Member

4. maffa50

maffa50 New Member

I fixed the problem. Thanks for the replies and advice! :D <3

5. DeGladiator

DeGladiator Well-Known Member

U can also use YSMenu as Dual-Boot firmware for R4i-Gold

R4i-Gold - http://www.r4i-gold.eu/ -> (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC TTMenu folder)
    R4i-Gold - http://www.r4i-gold.com/ -> (Use R4-SDHC_R4i-SDHC TTMenu folder)

YSMenu 6.95:http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-retrogamefan-multi-cart-update-695-f31112.html

Changelog
    fixed 5342 - Beyblade Metal Fusion (E)(PROPER)
    fixed 6113 - Monster High Skultimate Roller Maze (E)
    fixed 6114 - Wreck-It Ralph (U)
    fixed 6115 - Mahjong Mysteries Ancient Athena (E)
    fixed 6116 - LEGO The Lord of the Rings (U)
    fixed 6117 - The Trash Pack (U)
    fixed 6118 - K3 Karaoke (NL)
    fixed XXXX - Moshi Monsters Moshlings Theme Park (E)
    fixed XXXX - Jewel Link Galactic Quest (E)
    fixed XXXX - Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 (E)
    fixed XXXX - Driver Dan's Story Train (E)
    fixed XXXX - Hotel Transylvania (E)
    fixed XXXX - Pokemon Black Version 2 (K)
    fixed XXXX - Pokemon White Version 2 (K)
    fixed XXXX - Beyblade Metal Fusion (U)
    fixed z103 - Pokemon White Version 2 v1.1 Complete (U)
    fixed z103 - Pokemon White Version 2 v1.1 Vanilla (U)
    fixed z118 - Pokemon Black Version 2 v1.1 Complete (U)
    fixed z118 - Pokemon Black Version 2 v1.1 Vanilla (U)

usrcheat
    fixed z103 - Pokemon White Version 2 v1.1 Complete (U)
    fixed z103 - Pokemon White Version 2 v1.1 Vanilla (U)
    fixed z118 - Pokemon Black Version 2 v1.1 Complete (U)
    fixed z118 - Pokemon Black Version 2 v1.1 Vanilla (U)

6. StevieBoy

StevieBoy Member

How did you fix it, I have what sounds like the same problem? I assumed the cartridge needs updating with an old DS.

7. Prectorian

His problem is with the R4i's main firmware not related to needing to get a secondary firmware. Please get a whole clear picture about his problem before making suggestions, you'll only cause him to be mis-led down the wrong path.

Is this your problem that you posted ? (StevieBoy's R4i Topic)

Actually the guy (Ethan Arm) who responded to you already gave you correct, proper and full method on how to solve your problem. Maybe it's just that you either not yet understand fully what he said or, you wouldn't want to allow yourself to accept the fact that you're practically screwed. But allow me to elaborate for you;

1. DSi firmware v.1.4.4E.

As you said, both flash carts didn't come with any SD Micro, so it's not yet 'pre-installed' with any R4i firmware that allow it to immediately be use to run/load on the v.1.4.4E DSi firmware. And let's not forget it's said to be free bonus for buying 2 DSi console. Well....so much for being free bonus when you practically can't use it on the spot without having to run around looking for solution.

You see, the v.1.4.4E DSi firmware blocks all and any use of flash carts that isn't yet pre-installed or update or upgraded to work on the v.1.4.4E. Which is why you need to find/borrow an NDS/NDSL or a DSi whose firmware is below v.1.4.4E, to do the installation of the R4i's firmware to the latest version as per provided by your cart's official website. Only then can you use those 2 carts on your own DSi XL. Or, simply go buy flash carts that is/are already pre-installed with the latest firmware to work on the v.1.4.4E DSi firmware.

2. R4i 1.4 Upgrade Revolution for DS - R4i-SDHC.com
    R4i 1.4 Revolution for DS - R4i-GOLD.com

So you understand a bit more about firmware, there are 3 kinds of firmware in use;
    1. the console's firmware (in your case you have know it's v.1.4.4E for your DSi)
    2. the flash cart's primary firmware (in your case the R4i's firmware)
    3. secondary firmware such as WOOD, YSMENU, AKAIO, TTMENU

Your issue is related to no.1 and no.2, where no.1 firmware blocks the use of no.2. For no.3 it's as it's name is, works on top of no.2 to allow running of game roms that can't be run on no.2, thus need the help of no.3. Both your cart cannot use WOOD because both are not supported by that secondary firmware, also not on AKAIO. Only YSMENU or TTMENU will work. But before jumping to try add files for no.3. You'll need to make sure no.2 (R4i firmware) is installed and running natively on the DSi, only then can you look into running secondary firmware. So again....solve issue related to firmware no.1 and no.2 first.

Oh...just in case you want to ask about possibility to downgrade the DSi firmware to lower than v.1.4.4E. It's not possible, once upgraded it's permanent. So all in all, what Ethan Arm told you is already correct and it's a hard and aching reality you need to accept. Yeah...I know and understand why you won't want to accept reality, probably due to you don't have an NDS/NDSL and no one that you know have an NDS/NDSL or a DSi that is below that firmware you have in hand. 2 possible solution, buy a new cart that already been installed to run on v.1.4.4E, or take those 2 R4i you have with 2 SD Micro, go to a game shop and ask for them to install latest cart's firmware, but don't expect to walk into a shop that only sells official original game carts, they'll practically will throw you out.

8. ltcook

ltcook Active Member

I cant seem to get this game working either.:( I have a gold Card and it says www.R4IGOLD.cn as the website to download. I tried downloading the firmware as it needs to be updated to play most new games. This game is saying ( Rom Loading failed) Load rom errcode=-4 please reset system.
    Could someone please help:)
    Thanks heaps

9. Prectorian

Your cart and the OP's cart may be the same name, but it's actually not, the official website differ from your's.

On condition that your console isn't having trouble because of running DSi v.4.5.0-10U or 3DS v.4.5.0-10U, then do below method.
    (If it can't run because you had updated your DSi or 3DS to the latest console firmware, then doing the below won't solve it.)

Anyway,
    If this is your cart: R4i Gold Upgrade Revolution v1.4.1 from http://www.r4igold.cn/
    Download this package from Retrogamefan: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0

- > Download package, unpack
    *Remember to read the instructions provided by RetroGameFan in his package before starting.
    - > Back up your SD Micro files to a folder in your computer
    - > Format SD Micro
    - > Copy over the backed up files to the SD Micro (still keep a back up in the PC)
    - > Use DSTT_DSTTi TTMenu or DSTT_DSTTi YSMenu folder from the package
    - > Rename TTMenu.dat to iLL.iL
    - > Run the YSMENU.nds or TTMENU.nds provided in the package before running the gamenamerom.nds

10. ltcook

ltcook Active Member

I have Version 1.4.4A.
    I was told to update the firmware on my dsixl as my sons gold card would not work.:( What are my options now?
    My other R4 Card which is black and says 3DS in green works as its got v4.4 on the card. is my only option buying a new card?
    Or is there a patch i can use?
    Thanks

11. Prectorian

If that is the case, the damage been done, so your options now are;
    1. check the cart's official website for an update that would allow the use on DSi v.4.5.0-10U, if/once there is an update for the cart,
    you'll need to borrow someone's DS/DSi console that is below v.4.5.0-10U to perform the updating so that the cart can again be
    use on your console
    2. buy a new cart that already been upgraded to work on v.4.5.0-10U (make sure it's been pre-installed with the latest, otherwise
    it's no use because you can't perform the updating on your console)

12. jm5

jm5 New Member

did anyone can help me? i have card r4-gold 3Ds for (N3Ds/ NDsi XL/ NDsL/ NDs) , i have nintendo dsXL, and problem said "make sure download firmware from wwv .r4i-gold.com otherwise please upgrade hardware!!!). is this card fake or what!? thanks

13. Prectorian

Were you expecting it to be an R4i Gold from R4ids.cn or R4idsn.com? Can't say it's fake. It's a clone cart, with probability of low end support. If your cart says it should get it's upgrade from that site, then consider complying. One thing is for sure; make sure you know what the latest upgrade version of your cart that it can support. If it doesn't have support for anything above v.4.3.0-10 (3DS) or v.1.45 (DSi), then clearly you shouldn't upgrade your console's firmware. Only upgrade your console if and only if your cart has upgrade available and been upgraded to accommodate that latest version of the console's firmware (current console firmware version is v.1.45 for DSi and v.5.1.0 for 3DS). Otherwise, don't upgrade console's firmware !!!