1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4DS system folder apears as .exe...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by YuL, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YuL

YuL Active Member

... and I can't switch around files in it such as the cheat.dat or the themes. Any help on how I can make my computer read it as a folder and stop making it think it is a .exe

I already searched for a similar topic without results...
    Thanx for the help in advance.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Can you post a screenshot? Using the Printscreen key and paste it into MSPaint would be fine.

3. YuL

YuL Active Member

It's acting very weird. The _system_ folder, is described as an application .exe that weighs 268k, but the R4DS can still read it perfectly, and for real it weighs about 10 MB with all the themes and everything that's in there.
    And since my last post it started to do the same thing to my SNES and moonshell folder. And I was able to recopy the SNES folder in there, but now it's like they are double. When I use SNEmulDS, it will use the folder SNES, not the application one.
    Here is a pic. Windows is in french but I think anyone can understand the important part of it.

[​IMG]

4. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Could you set your PC to view Hidden Files and Folders.....?

-Your folder might have been changed to Hidden attribute and replaced by an *.exe....

5. YuL

YuL Active Member

Thank you, what you mentioned seemed to be part of the problem. _System_ was under hidden, so when I set the computer to show hidden files it showed it, along with SNES and moonshell folder, so I took off the hidden mode. SNES and Moonshell are now 100% OK. _System_ folder though, after a minute or two, will always go back to hidden and come back as a .exe

One more thing, I think there might be a virus or something like changing registry values. So I'll run a thorough AVG scan and try again it might work out.

When I tried to enable the view of hidden files, I needed to go in folder option in control panel, but it wasn't there. So I had to go in my registry and change a value to 0 and reboot and the folder options icon reappeared.
    Now my _system_ keeps doing what I just said, and my registry value I just changed changed back to what it was, and my folder options icon disappeared again.

That's why I'm suspecting some kind of virus, unless anyone knows otherwise.

Thank you again Blade for the valuable info

6. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Try this and scan you computer and your SD:

SuperAntiSpyware ;D

-I think it's one of those virus that set your folder to hidden and replaces it with an *.exe file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.