1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4DS Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HumrH360, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumrH360

HumrH360 Well-Known Member

My R4 has been acting weird lately. Whenever I turn on my DS with the R4 in it, my R4 will show the menu with the text areas become white bars with pixels missing, only to freeze on me when I select any kind of option. When I replace the firmware, the baby's working just fine. When I come back to play my DS, it does the same thing as mentioned before. Then the whole cycle just repeat's itself. Anyone have an idea of what going on, and/or a way to fix it?

2. ffstrife

ffstrife Member

This has never happened to my R4 before, but it can't be a problem with your DS itself, as you said it works perfect when you re-do the firmware.

Are you sure your using the correct firmware for the correct copy of the R4, if you have the original, the firmware should be 1.18. Plus, I wouldn't advise using a patched firmware like those which can be downloaded of gbatemp.

Try formatting the MicroSD, and reinstalling the firmware. If you still have no luck, it's the R4 cartridge

3. HumrH360

Did all of that already. Guess it is the R4 game card :'(

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Try a different MicroSD. See if that has the same problems.

5. HumrH360

The only other Micro SD there is in my house is my brother's, but it's for his cell phone.

6. exodia910

exodia910 Active Member

It's worth a try to see if its the MicroSD. Just borrow it for a while and back up his files on your PC and install the firmware.

7. HumrH360

C'mon, whaddam I s'posed to say? 'Sides, the guy's nothin' but a selfish prick.

8. anandjones

Well, try to get access to another then.

9. HumrH360

I got a new MicroSD, now (4 gigs, baby!!)
    I decided to try out an older firmware (1.17)
    I got an updated version of WinRAR (3.8 )
    I trimmed the ROMs to get rid of irrelevant stuff (anti-piracy, bugs, etc.)
    And............... it still won't work
    ................ Maybe the DS just plain hates me :'(

10. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

What you mean by patched firmware? I suggest reading this post and using an alternative firmware suggested in the post, it works fine with mine and CJ's so worth a shot, plus it's updated regularly and works a beaut.
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15544.0

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

If it is an original R4, then the reason it's not working is your 4GB MicroSD is an SDHC card, the original R4 is not compatible with SDHC, only SD, which means you can only go up to 2GB cards.

(There are 4GB SD cards, but they are no longer produced, and are all but impossible to find).

12. HumrH360

Fuck! That explains part of it. Oh well, I ain't givin' in that easily ;D

13. HumrH360

HOOOOHOOO, YEAH!! It's up'n runnin' like a charm!! Thanks everyone who posted!!!!

14. anandjones

Trimming doesn't remove the antipiracy and bugs..

15. sulcount13

sulcount13 Member

just got r4 but after reseraching on internet message boards im afraid its a clone r4...can i still use the "r4ds" or will it brick my ds?

16. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

As long as you bought it from a reputable seller, you should be fine. I've had my apparent clone that I purchased from realhotstuff.com for a year now, and I've never had a single issue with it and how it functions with my DS. Personally, I think you should have gone with a Cyclo or Acekard, but at least owning an R4 will keep you on your toes.

It would benefit you greatly if you familiarized yourself with DSLazy. Just Google it and read up on it and how to use it. You are going to need to use the program fairly often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.