1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4DS - Can it take cards over 2gb?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Skambu, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Skambu

Skambu Well-Known Member

Well, can it?
    Because my stupid friend doesn't believe me that it can.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You sound positive about that. The original R4 could only support nonSDHC MicroSD cards, so yes, it can support over 2GB, as long as it's not a high capacity card, the only known higher capacity non SDHC MicroSD is 4GB, which is near to non-existent lately. But the R4SDHCs support SDHC MicroSDs, at some rate.

3. khaislash

khaislash Well-Known Member

2GB cards work on the R4 but not 4GB or more(I think).I tried putting a 4GB card on the R4 and it stated 'SD/TF Card Error'

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It was an SDHC microSD then.

5. zaheen

zaheen Active Member

i have a 4GB which takes 4GB LOONYLION thinks its fake

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there are two kinds of 4GB microSD, the SDHC and non-SDHC They work differently so SDHC variants will not work in hardware that is not SDHC compatible. SDHC is the newer type and has replaced non-SDHC, making the latter extremely hard to find. Neither are fake, one is newer technology than the other.

The original genuine R4DS does NOT support microSD SDHC cards. There is an R4 CLONE called the R4 SDHC that does support microSD SDHC cards.

do your research in future before accusing me of not knowing what I am talking about.

7. zaheen

zaheen Active Member

Sorry loony i get it

8. littlesooty

littlesooty Member

hi there, in singapore we have this clone of r4ds which i got mine @ 75 dollars. it does support up to 4gb micro sd. on the cover of my r4 it did say SDHC supported.
    NDSL R4 is the name.
    hope this help. :)

9. khaislash

khaislash Well-Known Member

Wow.Where you bought it?I'm from Singapore too?Isn't S$70+ too much for a flashkart.?

10. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

My flashcard was 100$. I thought it was 20$ (not bad for an SDHC compatible R4, right?) but it was a members only thing, then she had to pay shipping, then she had to play an international sircharge... it was a mess... Had I known it came out to be that much I would have been like "NOOOOOOOOO"

11. khaled786

khaled786 Member

i can hold 8gb ;D

12. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Can an original r4 hold this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3228792

says its ultra II micro SD, doesn't say HC anywhere.

13. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Looks like a SD. Maybe a bit of confusion.

14. cab9541

cab9541 Well-Known Member

look closely at the picture and you will find it is micro but it also has the sandisc sdhc logo centered a little up from the middle and to the left. as stated before there is micro sd high capacity and there is regular micro sd regular micro hit its limits and was replaced by sdhc.

15. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Oh i see it :p

16. Nintendude92

Nintendude92 Well-Known Member

100$ for an sdhc R4 is pretty bad in my opinion.

You should have spent it on a different flash card thats still being supported, and costs way less. And then spend the rest on cheeseburgers.

17. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

But I thought it was 20$, that's the problem...

Anyway, you CAN take a 4 gig card in a normal R4, but that's just because there ARE non SDHC 4 gig micro sd cards, but they're rarer than chicken teeth ^.^