1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4DS and microSD cards.... Need help understanding =)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by aussniper, Jul 16, 2007.

1. aussniper

aussniper Member

Ok i have been reading the tuts and other post but i am still a little confused.
    If i buy a R4DS for slot 1 can i download the roms off this site and put them on there to play them.
    How many games can the R4DS hold ? Or is that the microSD that hold the games and where do i insert the microSD.
    One last question do i need any special software if i use the R4DS ?

Oh and also if i am using the R4DS and the MicroSD can i still use the wifi feature with the DS.
    And what do i do to get the wifi feature. LoL i dont have a DS yet but i am liking the looks of it so i just want to understand everything before i buy.

Thanks,

Aus

2. Mikeyface

Mikeyface Member

Hi,
    I've got an M3 Simply, which is identical to the R4.

You need to buy a micro SD card to go with it, that's where all the games are stored.
    I recommend getting a 2gb or a 4gb size card so you can fit plenty of games!

Once you have the R4, you will need to download it's firmware (from the R4 website), put it on your microSD card then run the .nds file on your DS. Then you can just drag & drop .nds games onto the card and play them on your DS. It's really really easy with the M3/R4, good choice.

If you need any more info or if I wasn't clear (sometimes I just ramble), just tell me and I'll try to pull it together.

3. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you just get the firmware and follow the instructions by dragging it onto your micro SD card, then place the .nds files from INSIDE the RAR archives onto that micro SD card, put it in your R4/M3 and have fun!

I also own a M3DS.

4. aussniper

aussniper Member

Hey sorry for the late reply.
    Thanks for clearing the issue even further for me :D

5. Valkerion

Valkerion Well-Known Member

DS games are all 16. 32. 64. or 128. Mb without reducing them so that will give you a idea on how much you can hold depending on what games you get. a majority are 32 and 64 if you think about the game your getting and what it looks like ect. you can guestimate the size of it.

Games like FF3 and FF12 ect are obviously 128.

6. MusicAddict911

You also have to account a bit of space for the .sav file.

7. aussniper

aussniper Member

what would be the recommended size and brand micro SD ?
    I have heard some are faster then others does this make much difference?

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the faster they are the better, some games won't play properly if the MicroSD is too slow.

9. MusicAddict911

Meh... the faster ones are probably better but I have Kingston and some cheap $10 one that I bought from Hong Kong on eBay and both function fine.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Capacity does not generally affect speed; the quality of the components and manufacturing process is what has the most effect on the speed.

11. aussniper

aussniper Member

which card would you recommend?

12. Mikeyface

Mikeyface Member

Kingston or Sandisk, they're both great - get the biggest, fastest one you can afford :) Well, no bigger than 4GB because that's the highest supported.

13. martianmaggot

martianmaggot Member

Are 4GB cards out yet?

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, but not cheap

15. Mikeyface

Mikeyface Member

yeah, retailing at about £40 at the moment... might as well get a couple of 2gb cards instead, or just the one and wait for a price drop :)

16. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

I noticed that nobody mentioned the part of the question that I'd also like to know:

Are WiFi-compatible games (like Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, for instance) able to get on WiFi from an R4?

17. Seph

Yeah, since friend codes are tied to the DS and not to the game then you get a unique friend code you can use without a problem.

18. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

That's not what made me worry, though...I was worried that the network would detect it was a "fake" game or something...

Meh, guess I'm just paranoid...

(By the way, aren't Friend Codes tied to both?)

19. Seph

I've never heard of a game being detected as being fake, through strictly speaking it would be possible. I doubt Nintendo would do that though, they know their most addicted users aren't afraid of downloading a game to test it before buying it. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot really.

20. Valkerion

Valkerion Well-Known Member

Only problem i know of with using R4 ect with games are that some, SOME games cant use the download play function if they have them. I think the list of games that wont let you do it is like 4 games haha so dont worry abou that.

Other than that its 100% the same as the normal game. Altho you will notice faster save times if you compare it to the normal carts. Pokemon games save in like 2-3 seconds compared to the the real cart which is like 15 seconds at most.