1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by oo0ryder0oo, Feb 7, 2014.

1. oo0ryder0oo

oo0ryder0oo New Member

After several hours of research and many "kernels" downloaded ive finally gave in and decided to ask for help lol.
    Attached is the Photo of the full setup to be used on a NDSL in pink that i bought the whole lot together for my daughter. What kernel do i need and a link would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

does www.r4-dsl.net not work anymore? if it does, that site should have the kernel you want.

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Site is down Loonylion.
    Try using this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

Use the files from "R4-Clone".

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Your cart from that site is also known as R4 III.

These are probably the kernel file you're looking for (though not sure which of these 2):
    1. http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/dl.php/R4IIIr4-dsl_v3.09_English.zip
    2. http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/dl.php/R4III_v4.03_English.rar

Basic general installation steps (may vary from cart to cart);
    1. Charge console battery until full
    2. Back up SD Micro content to computer if there're files in it
    3. Full format the SD Micro
    4. Download the kernel package and decompress using WINRAR/WINZIP/7Zip accordingly
    5. Copy/Drag-Drop the extracted package content to the SD Micro
    6. Insert the SD Micro into the flash cart and then to the console
    7. Switch on and run the execute to start installation (read the info on screen carefully)
    8. Make sure to wait until installation completed fully (NEVER SWITCH OFF CONSOLE PART WAY !!!!!)
    9. When done, steps should be completed. Enjoy

*Note:
    Since that cart is obsolete, and last known firmware update was 2009/2010. There might be a need to add secondary firmware on top of the primary firmware. Possible secondary firmware for that is YSMENU or AKAIO. Also might need to use patched rom.

5. oo0ryder0oo

oo0ryder0oo New Member

Well for the first time since i had the lack card i didnt just get a black "loading screen" which is excellent news and does fill me with some hope. That being said all games still just go to white/black screen and stay there. So i looked into this YSMenu thing and didnt know what i was supposed to do so i just pasted that straight into the sd card in the same place as the RIII firmware. Games still would not work. So looking into this patching of games. Do i need to just do this or aswell as YSMENU. Looked around forums and all links and guides are ancient so not usefull at present. Cheers for help so far guys.

It was the first link that "prectotrian" posted that brought me to a loading screen with 3 options "game", "something" and "Dual boot".

6. Prectorian

Try adding an nds rom whose scene number is below 3000. Those above 4000 tend to contain anti-piracy protection. If those older releases works on the R4's firmware then first problem solved. I'll check which secondary firmware might support your cart later on. Am not home at the moment. Can't do research via small smartphone. Later.

7. oo0ryder0oo

oo0ryder0oo New Member

All games up unto 3000 checked and they work fine. Is there a way to get games after this work correctly?

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

So you're saying you downloaded and manually ran 3000 ROMs?

9. Prectorian

I'm sure he meant random testing them.

Thus confirmed the firmware you'd installed is correct and working properly.
    Let's go to the next step, where the good news is; your cart is supported by YSMENU.

Steps to do:
    1. Download RetroGameFan's Package (choose manual download, and decompress it using the appropriate extracting program) : http://filetrip.net/g25123605-RetroGameFan-Multi-Cart-Update.html
    2. Download and extract Jhon 591's file : https://mega.co.nz/#!cERFCKrK!hLsp8YYfZ1zel-y9y-b6Hw1wTSgcTSgKzrkMuv-dBOU
    3. Back up your SD Micro content to your computer
    4. Locate a folder in RetroGameFan's package named "R4_Clone YSMenu folder", copy that folder to your SD Micro
    5. Open your SD Micro in a new window/tab from your computer and locate "TTMENU FOLDER", open that and delete these files;
    infolib.dat, savlib.dat, extinfo.dat, and usrcheat.dat
    6. Open up Jhon 591's file, and copy these files; infolib.dat, savlib.dat, extinfo.dat, and usrcheat.dat, from his package to the "TTMENU FOLDER"
    7. Now add a rom from scene release number above 4000 to your SD Micro, e.g. Pokémon Heart Gold
    8. Load the SD Micro into the cart, and then switch on your NDS
    9. Locate the YSMENU.nds icon, and load it, and then you locate the game rom to load
    10. If you do things correctly, the rom above scene number 4000 up to latest release should now work on your console.

Good luck!

10. oo0ryder0oo

oo0ryder0oo New Member

Hey im sorry i havnt been back in touch i got called away to work for a few days. I have just arived home now so i will grab a few hours sleep and give this next bit a go and get back to you later today. And yes i tried a random asortment of roma not all 3000 lmao. Thanks again guys!
    Post Merge: [time]1392212024[/time]
    All steps followed exactly. Tested on 6 diffrent roms all giving me a black screen after loading. Any advice?