1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 SDHC - Save file corrupt and gets deleted on restart HELP PLZ

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RiceMuncher, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiceMuncher

RiceMuncher Member

Hello

My R4 SDHC (with a 4gb Sandisk Mirco SDHC card) runs most DS games fine however with the exception of Might and Magic Clash of Heroes and Knights in the Nightmare.

Yes they load up. Yes the game works(i.e I can play) and yes the game "saves".

But this save file somehow gets "corrupted" and "deleted" on restart. I have checked the card and the save file(.SAV) is surprisingly still present when I load up my card on the computer.

I have tried formatting the card and using the latest firmware (1.29) at point of writing) to no effect. I have even used the ARM7 fix - which turns it into a new problem in which the save file is not even recognised.
    Please help.
    Theres no way I am going to play a game for 25hrs straight or keep the DS on.

2. calvin1019

calvin1019 Active Member

i don't know what the problem is and a r4 is not a good card right
    and maybe you need to back-up your files
    and send some pictures whats happening maybe we can help?

3. RiceMuncher

RiceMuncher Member

anyone else have this problem??

4. possible u have a fake R4!

5. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is Anti-Piracy protected, maybe there's the Problem.

6. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Someone else had this proplem with the same make of card

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg532503#msg532503

Im not starting to this they mabe a problem with this brand...

7. Zankrep

Zankrep Member

Yes I have had the same problem. The above message is my thread. -_-still no soluton

8. Ace_McCloud

Ace_McCloud New Member

I have this problem with an R4 SDHC bought from a recommended website.

Haven't tried it with this game, but with New Super Mario Bros. and with Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney I have issues with the save file.

With Phoenix Wright it says "Load Failed" when I try to continue my game. Exactly the same after I patch it.

With NSMB is gets past the "Nintendo" screen and then says "Save file corrupt, deleting saved file" and then repeats. After I patched it with Arm7 it said "Save file corrupt: File 1, File 2, File 3" and then proceded to delete those files and then took me to a black screen...

Anyone have any idea on this? If the R4 SDHC is the problem, then which card should I be getting, as this was the one I thought was highly recommended...

9. RiceMuncher

RiceMuncher Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking up this problem and it seems to be fairly prevalent across R4 cards.
    I recently tried converting the 512kb .sav to 1mb. Which does not work... BUT if i run DSPATCH.nds (will attach file) itll run the game and load up the 1mb file..

only thing is, it still cant save properly...
    I think this is a firmware problem =[ ...

BTW. www.r4sdhc.com is the site for my R4. I brought it from gadgetgear.com.au
    Post Merge: [time]1261832452[/time]
    Summary of following suggested solutions

1. Format SD Card
    Result: Does not have any effect.
    Note: Unable to format to FAT16 because of cluster size issues

2. update to latest firmware
    Result: No effect
    Note: 1.29 is the latest as of 26/12/09

3.ARM-7 fix
    Result - Save file cannot be accessed instead of save file is corrupted.
    Note: Only tried one donor rom - Glory Days 2(U).nds

If anyone has similar problems with a R4SDHC plz try out those solutions and post back on results =]
    Ill add more in as I try and fix this ugly R4 problem

10. Ace_McCloud

Ace_McCloud New Member

Hey RiceMuncher

I'm having the same problems and have tried the steps you've suggested. I've downloaded about 15 Roms and have been through them all to see which ones are having problems.

The majority have problems retrieving saved data, a few can't load at some point. (I've only tried your steps with 2 games)

For what it's worth I'm close to giving up on the R4 SDHC because many posters on this website seem to say the R4 is a bad card and go on to recommend the AceKard.

As I understand it that has a very high compatability (no games shown to have problems) and saves with everything. (Unless I've misread something).
    Another cool thing about one of the AceKards (The RPG) is that you can leave it in your DS and through a USB port put Roms straight onto it:D

11. Zankrep

Zankrep Member

THERE IS A SOLUTION!!!!
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28719.0
    This thread follow the guide complelety,
    when u get to the opition of what numbe 1,2,3,4 go for 4.
    Now then make sure to download the firmware from the website as well and put everything on ur R4 chip.
    Then when u first load ur ds (will take a lil bit but not long) go straight for the ysmenu.nds then it will save the data (by pressinga)
    then play ur game thru this.
    :D IT WORKS SAVES AND DOESNT CORRUPT

12. RiceMuncher

RiceMuncher Member

Ok will try
    Post Merge: [time]1261886902[/time]
    I can't read Japansese, could you please link me to YSMENU fireware.
    A direct link to the files would be great
    Post Merge: [time]1261887265[/time]
    (qouted from afrokid13) (https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28719.0)

you guys didn't use the latest YSmenu. Read carefully the instructions are up there

Latest YSmenu firmware http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/
    to find the file press f3 then paste this into the search bar 2009/03/27 00:00

download that file

and RENAME it to this "YSMenu0810211800" (without the quotes of course)

thats not the file you are supposed to download

this should solve supernova and Noob1996's problem

Post Merge: [time]1261888109[/time]
    OMG!
    IT WORKS!!!
    Installing YSMENU solves it.
    Thanks ZAN.

Someone make this a sticky plzzz. Everyone with a R4 or R4 clone should know about this

13. Ace_McCloud

Ace_McCloud New Member

Well I've followed all of the instructions. I'm running YSMenu on my R4SDHC - when I load a game it takes a damn long time to get past the "Booting... Creating TTMENU.sys" screen for the first time but Ace Attorney is working!

Got bored of waiting for NSMB to load up.

Thanks guys!

This thread or at least the problem should really be put into the common problems thread.

Will see how it goes with the rest of my games and report back if there are any that don't work.

I presume you got Might and Magic working then RiceMuncher? Working fine?

14. Zankrep

Zankrep Member

No problem. it has taken me far too long to solve this issue.
    Also it does take ages to booting... but its worth it. Well I did this for professor layton and it works well.

15. RiceMuncher

RiceMuncher Member

yep my previous two games that wernt saving properly - Knights in the Nightmare and Might and Magic now work fine! xD
    good work to Zan.

This shows one thing - R4 fireware SUCKS esp R4 clone fireware.

With regards to your TTMENU.sys loading time, it shouldn't happen ( it happened once for me and froze my DS) . I re installed using the R4.bat and cahnged a few options and it works great. Maybe try reinstalling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.