1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 question

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by assguy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. assguy

assguy Member

Hi, R4 newbie here. ;D

I just received my R4DS (the original one I think) and I'm looking into it, but I'm a bit confused.

My card says "Moonshell 1.6 support", which I think is the OS, but from what I've understood, Wood is another OS that's better? Am I correct in thinking I should install wood R4?

I got a kit that comes only with the flashcart and USB card reader, no CD. Can I just download the OS and then it'll work?

There are downloads on the r4ds website, should I use those?

Any beginner tip is welcome. ;)

Thanks

Edit 2

This website seems like it has good instructions, I think I'll follow it.
    newfyworld.hubpages.com/hub/Wood-R4-kernel-VS-R4-kernel

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, moonshell is not the OS. Moonshell is a media player that often comes with flashcarts, it is independent of the flashcart firmware (the OS)

Wood is a third party firmware for some flashcarts, it will only work on a few different models of R4.

The easy way to tell whether or not your R4 is an original is can it use microsd cards 4GB or higher. If it can, it is not an original R4.

3. assguy

assguy Member

Oh, haha, thanks for clearing that up. :p
    I'm 99.9% sure I have the original, when I bought it I was aware of the 2 gb limit.

My question now is that the r4ds website has wood 1.55, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere else (updated dec. 15th). It is not mentioned on this thread (forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701.0). Should I use 1.54 instead because that one is known to work, or is it safe to go for the newest?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

WoodR4iDSN v.1.55 is for R4i Gold only.
    For original R4 it is still on v.1.54.

5. assguy

assguy Member

So this is not to be trusted? taken from r4ds.com/wood-r4/download-wood-r4-1.55-kernel.html

Wood R4 1.55 Kernel Download

Size:2.12 MB
    Updated Date:15th-Dec-2012
    Version: 1.55
    Type: .rar, .zip

Instructions:Wood R4 V1.55 Kernel

Wood R4 Firmware was updated into V1.55 for R4DS users on Dec 15th, 2012. Download Wood R4 and enjoy DS games with Wood Firmware.

Download Wood R4 Kernel

Wood R4 installation,Wood R4 Setup Manual

Change Log (Wood R4 V1.55)

RTS:
    -RTS has been added into Wood R4 V1.55.
    RTS instructions:
    The speed and the sector size of tf card decide the speed of RTS.
    In order to make use of rts,you'd better format your tf card with sector size bigger than 8KB.
    First of all, you need make rts on by clicking start menu and choose setting.
    Just find "rts" and turn it on.
    In the game, you need hot-softreset key and you can get rts menu.
    (Note:Normally It might take a while (5~15 seconds) during the save and load game...)

6. Loonylion

it's not about trust, that is a special version for a specific model of R4, which is not the model you have.

7. assguy

assguy Member

Ok. What I find weird though is that nowhere in there do they mention R4i and it is on the (seemingly official) website of the card that I have.

8. Prectorian

The original R4 cannot run WOOD's RTS feature (real time saving), so far it's only for the R4i Gold.
    The site you found is copy pasting Yellow Wood Goblin's text (by the way, that's the name of the person who made the WOOD Firmware), but omitting the fact it's for R4i Gold flash carts only. The original text can be found as quoted in this link: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701.msg1421128#msg1421128.

The WOOD R4 for R4 Original is still at current v.1.54 : http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4-154-f31061.html
    Last updated on Nov. 1st 2012. Only trust WOOD R4 updates provided by Yellow Wood Goblin (YWG).

9. assguy

assguy Member

Ok, distorted information. :p

Thanks, you guys have helped a lot. Much appreciated!

10. jute

jute New Member

My R4 (original) is stuck on the loading screen with your linked firmware can you help me out ?

11. Prectorian

No.

Your cart is not an original R4, it's a clone R4. Original R4 can only run 1 GB and 2GB SD (non-SDHC) Micro cards. Your's run SDHC SD Micro cards. Thus you had used files not meant for your cart brand, that's why it's stucked. Revert back to initial files if you had backed up prior to doing that hasty action. If you don't have back up of the cart's original files and had overwritten them, then it's a fatal irreversible mistake.

12. Loonylion

It's not irreversible, he just has to find the right firmware files and install them.