1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 Question (MicroSD/SDHC Question)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joel Colby, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Colby

Joel Colby New Member

Hey Guys,

Last year I got myself a regular old R4 (an N5 clone, I'm 99% positive), that came with an included 2GB MicroSD card.

Now, that's been working all fine and dandy, but lately I've been having to delete games off the MicroSD card in order to make more room for games; so I decided I'd buy myself a larger MicroSD card.

I picked myself up an 8GB MicroSDHC card. Those who've worked with R4s, know this was a mistake, because my R4 can't run High-Capacity SD cards.

Thinking this was just a firmware issue, I went around looking for different firmware, but alas, I couldn't find anything.

Is there anything I can do to change fireware on a regular R4 in order to use a MicroSDHC card? Or would I need to buy a new flashcard? Or bring this SDHC card back and get a regular SD card? (I don't really want to be limited to only a 4GB MicroSD card.)

Hope you can help me out.

(Note: I know there's way better flashcards out there then the R4, but I won't complain.)

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Re: R4 Help

I don't think you can have an microsd larger than 2GB for the standard R4

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Re: R4 Help

No, it's hardware related. You should probably look into other flashcart choices, such as Cyclo, or Acekard 2/i, if you can buy them online. ^No SDHC cards yes.

4. Joel Colby

Joel Colby New Member

I'm pretty sure you can have a 4GB SD card for the standard R4, because that's a regular SD card, not an SDHC card. Seems I'm only having trouble with the SDHC cards.

Although, a friend had a 16GB MicroSDHC card running on a standard R4, so I'm kind of hopeful that there's a fix somehow... Could have been modded too, I suppose. An R4 Ultra maybe?

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That capacity doesn't exist anymore. Then it definitely isn't a regular R4.

6. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

I still despise the R4 for this reason. Like the people said above, get the Acekard 2/i OR a CycloDS of you want to spend some more money.

7. HottSushiz

HottSushiz Well-Known Member

SDHC is anything bigger then 2GB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.