1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 help needed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Amelia Leeming, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelia Leeming

Amelia Leeming Well-Known Member

Hi everone, my R4 is playing ip again! I have downloaded the latest firm ware and moved all of my folders into it, I then right clicked on them and pressed extract whatever the folder was, but I still have the promlem of when I turn my DS on it says "Couldn't find _DS_MENU.DAT. What do I do please help me someone I really want to download games by myself!

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...have a look and see if you can actually find that file in the card, if it isn't there then you must have left out something...

3. Amelia Leeming

Which file?

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Couldn't find _DS_MENU.DAT

DS_MENU.DAT

Look for that-if it isn't check the original file it came in-but not sure where to place it since I don't own a r4-another brand you see :(

5. Amelia Leeming

6. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

All you have to do is go to www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds and download the R4 firmware (make sure you get the right one, because there are many different R4s). I'm guessing you have a real R4 though, so download version 1.18. Then extract the .zip file. Put everything that's in the folder called English onto your microSD (in the root of your card, not in another folder). so your microSD should have all these in it:
    moonshl (folder)
    _system_ (folder)
    _DS_MSHL.NDS
    _DS_MENU.DAT

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

She has already got that one, but it's possible it's in the wrong place in the card judging by the error...

SHe needs a bit of help-she's been stuck since last night the poor thing :(

8. Fredbox

It was the "I have downloaded the latest firm ware and moved all of my folders into it" bit that made me think she had gotten a bit confused. So I thought just giving a full detailed walkthrough was the best option.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, she's new at this, I was attempting to help last night, it's hard to help when you use a different brand/not used a ds that you lost in a long time...

Good luck

10. Amelia Leeming

As I've already said I extracted all of the files, _system_, moonshl, Games, Games 2 (I made those two) _DS_MENU, _DS_MSHL they then all had the 3 books next to them like they do when you extract them, they were turned into WinRAR archive files when I extracted them which is what normally happens, next I extracted them again to turn them into File Folders. First of all _DS_MSHL then _DS_MENU but when I tryed to extract Games 2 and Games it said error-Probably because the disk is full should I delete some games and then extract them?

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

..how many games do you have on it?

And how big is the card your using?

(if not all the files are extracted, it can explain why it's not working...but if they are all out it should work regardless of the volume taken)

12. Amelia Leeming

I've got 27 games on it, 14 in the games folder and 13 in the games 2 folder.

13. Fredbox

What do you mean by "they were turned into WinRAR archive files when I extracted them which is what normally happens"? Is it? It's not normal for me. And also, why are there some folders created by you in the archive (I'm guessing you didn't get this archive from the website I suggested)? And also, what exactly is the error message you get when extracting? Also, what size is your microSD? Sorry about all the questions, but it sounds like you're doing something really odd with winrar and I'm trying to find out where you're going wrong.

14. Amelia Leeming

Having lunch speak in a minute.
    Post Merge: [time]1247662459[/time]
    I've deleted some games so hopefully I can extract the rest of the files I'll try after lunch.

15. eyeball226

eyeball226 Well-Known Member

I think you're making things more complicated for yourself than they need be.

You seem to be adding your games into the firmware archive file... correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't need to do this at all. I'll give you step by step-ish instructions of what you need to do.
    I'm assuming you already have winrar installed here.

1. Download the firmware from Linfox domain (the link my brother posted).

2. Double click on it.

3. Double click into the folder in the archive called "English".

4. Drag all 4 files you see into the root of your card (just drag and drop).

5. Then make your Games and Games 2 folders in the root of the card. Then simply add all the games you one by one until you get the message that the card is full. I suggest adding them in order with the ones you want most at the beginning.

You don't need to add the games or folders to the archive. I hope this makes things easier.

16. Amelia Leeming

Correction, I have dragged my files into the English firmware thing and I am just doing something and seeing if it works, so I will tell you in a minute.

17. eyeball226

eyeball226 Well-Known Member

Ok. You're not supposed to drag your files into the English firmware thing (that's actually what I meant by "adding your games into the firmware archive file"). It's probably not going to cause any problems but it's a complete waste of your time and makes things more complicated.

If whatever you're trying now doesn't work you could try following the instructions I posted. I'm pretty sure if you follow them it'll all work fine.

18. Amelia Leeming

The thing I did didnt work I will do what you posted. Off to collect a kitten so won't be doing it today, bye

19. Fredbox

Yay! Kitten! I myself will be getting a kitten soon. Kittens :D!

20. bscit

bscit Well-Known Member

Maybe you have the crap R4 I had an R4 but it was in chinese and I tried upgrading it. I dont know what it said because I cnat read chinese (even though I am Chinese lol). So just stick with the old files that you get on the disk it came with or buy a new R4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.