1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 Firmware

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MonstrousEntity, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Is there a way to upgrade past the 1.18b firmware on my R4? I've had it for about 3 months but when I check back to the original site for updates, its still 1.18. Can anyone help? I'm using an R4 card, not sure what type it is. I've spent most of today google searching for different R4 firmware that is constantly updated, but nothing that will work on mine. I ordered mine from www.r4-ds-card.com. I have a Nintendo DS Lite. I'd love some feedback on this issue, it's been bugging me for a while now.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You can use the R4li firmware, which supports the original R4.
    www.R4li.com
    Or you can use Ysmenu.
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=27617.0

This is all assuming you have an actual original R4, and not one of the numerous clones and copies.

3. My R4 isn't white like the one in the link you provided. I'll get a screenshot of my R4 and post it here, if it'll help clear things up.

Post Merge: [time]1269045138[/time]
    Alright, I tried the R4li firmware and it didn't work, got a picture of a red memory card and a question mark with the word Menu.

4. BlueSonikku

BlueSonikku Well-Known Member

Some official R4's were white at the time.

Sounds like you might have gotten yourself a clone. I have the original R4 and the FW from the R4li site works for mine.

You might have to find out what kind of R4 clone you have and then look for it's Firm ware here: http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/.

If it's a clone don't try running official FW on it or a real R4 with clone FW...it tends to get messy.

The best way to know if it's a clone or not..is if it can support a SDHC memory card or any SD card over 2gigs... it's a clone.

5. I looked at the list, the firmware on the first list of R4's, the firmware on www.r4ds.com works on my R4 so I'm assuming that I have a genuine R4. Can I get some more help?

6. BlueSonikku

BlueSonikku Well-Known Member

you were lucky to get a official R4 then =D.

What else is it that you need help with?

7. Well I was wondering if I could get some help with the YS menu. I can't get it to work on my R4 and I thought it might be because its a clone, but it's real. Whenever I generate the files and put it on my R4, I boot it up and all I see is a picture of the card in red, with a question mark and the word Menu.

8. tmac24

tmac24 Active Member

Your missing some files that red card with menu wrote in it is from the DSTT kernel side, Ysmenu uses DSTT kernel so you can play games which the R4 itself can't support i hope this helps (im not great at explaining things sorry!!)

9. Sorry, I really didn't understand that at all :p. I've tried following written instructions step by step but still seem to encounter this problem. Can anyone help?

10. I finally got it to work on my R4, except whenever I try to start a game on YSMenu, I get an error that says "Unsupported DLDI Name". Does anyone know what this is, and more importantly, how I can fix it? Thanks in advance!

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly, check out the Ysmenu tutorials again, maybe they have some helpful info.

(I don't have an R4, so I have no real experience in installing Ysmenu).

12. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Installing YSmenu was really simple for me. I just removed the original R4 firmware folder and inserted everything that came with my YSMenu download. I did this a few months ago, and it has worked perfectly since then.

13. Tried that but it didn't work.

14. LuckyTrouble77

Have you attempted to use clone firmware to see if you might possible have a clone that just supports the original R4 firmware? A picture of your card or an exact example off of google images or something would be ideal in diagnosing the problem.

15. http://www.r4-ds-card.com/

That's where I bought my R4, on a friends recommendation. I'm almost certain it is a genuine R4 because on the site it says they sell only genuine R4's. And I compared it to a picture of an actual R4 and a clone/fake. Any and all help would be very appreciated.

16. LuckyTrouble77

Are you sure it is a real R4? The only R4 cards they appear to sell is R4-SDHC, which is a clone.

17. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

i dont remember that the original r4 had a message that said menu when u didnt put the right firmware,i just got a black screen with loading message,im not sure youre cart is original r4 cause if it was it shouldnt say unsupported dldi name on ysmenu
    Post Merge: [time]1269392703[/time]
    is this your cart ? http://m3r4dstt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2009/12/R42.jpg

18. No, mine has the word Upgrade on it, but not SDHC.

19. LuckyTrouble77

Is this the card you have?

If so, I don't believe YSMenu works on it.

20. Yep, that's my card alright. Damn misleading advertising.