1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 Clone (?) and Firmware Questions

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Lwg94, May 30, 2010.

1. Lwg94

Lwg94 Member

Okay, so a week or so ago I ordered a flash cart for my DS.
    http://www.r4card.org/r4card.html
    That's the link to the website. At the time, I had no idea about "r4 clones" and other spin-offs, or even the fact that the original R4 cards are no longer in production. So, with free shipping and a little under $15 bucks, I ordered the little devil. I signed up for this site earlier today and was reading about the cards. It looks as though I've probably gotten a 'clone'. So, my question is what will this affect? Will I still be able to run ROMs on it? Will I need to download the Wood R4 firmware thing? (Honestly, I have no idea what that is or how I would go about using it).
    Also, I was wondering what "DSi Enhanced" is. Does the Wood R4 have anything to do with this? Will my card be able to run a game that has been "DSi Enhanced"? And, how can you tell if a ROM has been "DSi Enhanced"?
    Thanks,
    Luke

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Re: Well, I may have been scammed :\

There are numerous clones and copies. It's not exactly a scam when you buy one.

Clones have varying degrees of compatibility. Some better than others, etc. The shear number of cards with the R4 name is reason enough to stay away from anything with the R4 name, just for reasons like this.

DSi Enhanced games are games which have been developed using the software development kit (SDK) from Nintendo for the DSi. These usually include game features that use the DSi Hardware, like the Camera. But sometimes they don't include any special hardware features, and just used the SDK, like in the case of Sonic Classic Collection. Since these games use a different SDK than the normal DS games they usually have compatibility issues with most cards.

Whether or not your card can run DSi enhanced games depends on exactly which card it is. The same with whether or not the Wood R4 firmware will work on yours.

3. Lwg94

Lwg94 Member

My card will not be here until around the end of the week. Once it gets here, is there any ways to tell if it can run the Wood R4 right off the bat, or is the best way just to hook it up and try it out?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You'll have to see which card it is. There will probably be a website listed on the packaging somewhere.

5. Lwg94

Lwg94 Member

Okay, thanks for your help!

6. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

if it is an R4 clone, i dont recomend wood R4 right now, the version for clones is really buggy and unstable, use ysmenu until a more stable version comes out

7. Lwg94

Lwg94 Member

Oh, all right. I'll probably be back for more help when it gets here since I'm pretty new to the whole thing. Thanks a ton!