1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 cards seem to be having alot of troubles lately...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mds64, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

And we all know why-the original team has stopped making the updates-plus the market is flooded with fake r4 cards...

And yet-people are going out there and getting the cards...

I seen on these fourms that, while they are new to flashcards, are users of r4 cards...do they lack dldi auto patching or just "annoying" to set up?

I highly suggest for new users to try one of the other brands before getting an r4-even if it means going without (as many places stock r4 cards like there is no tommoro-with no other brand avaible to choose from)...

As I ALWAYS suggest-get an acekard-2.1 or (best option) 2.i (dsi compatible-but works with normal ds as well-2.1 is an older non-dsi type)...

Shall we sticky a thread for new users to avoid R4 cards-is it because most of them are new and "by coincidence" have an R4 card?

Thoughts-discuss...

(mods please move or lock depending on what you think-just my freedom of thought acting up again XD)

2. sonyuser333

sonyuser333 Active Member

What about the M3 Simply? Do they still make those?

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...probably-not up to date on them...

Never really had to help an m3 user before ethier XD

I just noticed plenty of r4 users latly asking for help on a game which I never had needed help before...

4. miros

miros Well-Known Member

I agree with mds64, no one should have to put up with the hassle that the R4 cards are known for, especially since the market is loaded with the fake R4 flash cards. AceKard should be the standard for the DS flash cart. The 2i is the best, and I believe that nothing else is comparable to it's functionality and consistency.
    miros

5. fahsky

fahsky Well-Known Member

For a cheap starter card, the DSTT does the job. I got one for around $5, & haven't had any issues with playing games on it, which is all I'm really interested in using it for. It supports Moonshell & other homebrew stuff, as well as reskinning the interface. Can't go wrong for the price. ^^

6. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Actually, the DSTT has gone out with a whimper. The last firmware update was almost 7 months ago. The rest...is silence.

7. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I don't see what the issue is with R4, never had a single issue with mine... My bro-in-law just bought one a month ago, and his has no problems either

8. randalx2

randalx2 Member

Actually, R4 is still alive. I just read in their official forum that some guy made a mod to actually make the firmwares of other flashcarts be compatible with R4.

9. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Yeah, luck I guess... All I know is that I am not going to spend more money to buy something that I basically already have, just because the one I do have is frowned upon in the Homebrew community.

Kinda like my PC, built for ME, upgraded to XP, now it's not going anywhere else because I think that it is just fine how it is, and I don't feel like paying for a new OS/PC just to make it look better and lose compatibility...

So, I'm sorry for those of you who have received a crapped out card, but since mine works fine, why should I bother?

Think you could give me a link to see what this is about?

10. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Firstly, the R4 hasn't had any official updates in over a year.
    Secondly, the R4 does not have an official forum.
    Thirdly, hacking other flashcarts' firmware onto the R4 does not categorise it as "still alive".

11. beaudon73

beaudon73 Active Member

i need help please i just tried to update my r4 upgrade to 1.17 and now it wont work could sumone please tell me how 2 update it where 2 go and step by step as im not sure how to do it and i,vv prob dun sumthing wrong

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

What the-they moved this-the point of this was to discuss the troubles of an r4 and not to get them-not a technical issue ???

I will give it a try...

Make sure you clear the card (copy and paste the stuff out of the card) and (if compressed) extract the firmware and place it into your sd card-then add games...

That's how the acekard works-see if that helps.

13. beaudon73

beaudon73 Active Member

that may make perfect sense to u but call me a bit thick not got a clue wot ur on about please put it in simple terms do i copy my games then delete everthing else and when i downloaded the 1.17kernel there was loads of files which shud i copy and to where sorry 4 bein so thick

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well..at least your not pm'ing me and saying "OMG I LOVE YOU" and then "it failed"...

I hate topic noobs-at least you admit it lol!

Ok-copy and paste all the games that you put on the card (if any) onto your pc (so you don't lose them-just incase you deleted the downloaded files) and clear everything from the card.

The-if there is an "english" folder on the card-ram that in...

But I have never used an r4 before...

With acekard you put the whole thing in-what are the contents of the kernel upon first glance?

(YO ANY R4 USERS-PLEASE HELP OUT)

15. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Make sure to backup the .SAV files as well as the .NDS files, otherwise you will lose all your saves.

When you download the Firmware files for the R4 from a site like linfoxdoamin.com the zip file will contain a folder called ENG which will have all the files in that. You need to take all the files out of the ENG folder and put them on the root of your card, otherwise it will not work if they are kept in the ENG folder. There should be four folders/files moonshl, _system_, menu.dat and moonshl.nds (or some slight variation of those names)

16. beaudon73

beaudon73 Active Member

so shud i wipe everything off the card and then put the new stuff on or just the games

17. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Yes, infact once everything you want to keep is backed up you should format your SD card.

Click on My Computer -> Right click on the Drive that is your Card, (F, G, etc.) and click Format.

This will do a complete erase and let you start fresh. Then you just load the firmware files and all your games and saves back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.