1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4 card help

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by small_smiley, Aug 19, 2012.

1. small_smiley

small_smiley Member

Hi everyone! First time to post a new topic here. A friend told me I can play the newer games on my R4 card if I install the RetroGameFan Multi Cart on my USD. I followed the instructions but when I opened my DS, all I got was the black loading screen. My card is the old R4 SDHC card. Hope someone can help me. Thank you! :D

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

First off, welcome to the jungle.

Please write the name of your R4 in detail, meaning....whatever is written on your R4 sticker, its website, etc.
    Because there are many R4 carts out there in the market, not all is supported, though most are by YSMENU.
    When you decided to add YSMENU/TTMENU provided by Retrogamefan, did you follow his instructions properly?
    Cause for first time user of his files has to do these;
    1. Back up the entire content of the SD Micro to a folder in your PC
    2. Format the SD Micro
    3. Re-insert all your backuped files
    4. Since your cart is SDHC, then copy over the content of RGF's multi cart folder named 'R4_SDHC.......'
    5. Load your SD Micro to your Flash cart, and switch it on it should work if you did it correctly.
    6. Everytime there's an update released by RGF, simply replace files named 'extinfo.dat', 'infolib.dat' and 'savlib.dat' found inside the TTMENU folder.

By the way, what games are you trying to play anyway?

3. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

I did not think YSMenu supported R4 SDHC only R4i SDHC

???

4. Prectorian

Are you sure? Cause in the compatibility list mentioned it does. However it all depends on his/her actual cart, so far its hard to tell with minimum info in the OP.

5. Jhon 591

O yes !faceparm

R4SDHC v1.34 - http://www.r4sdhc.com/ -> Just copy files (Use R4SDHC folder)

With the S bean so close to the R4 - looks weaird xd. - Maybe might look better with a gap

R4 SDHC v1.34 - http://www.r4sdhc.com/ -> Just copy files (Use R4SDHC folder)

6. small_smiley

small_smiley Member

It just says R4 on the sticker. I bought this way back in '07 or '08. The website where I look for kernel updates is http://www.r4ds.com/ I followed the instructions as is but I got the black screen.

I haven't tried to play any of the new games. I just put it in first to see if it would work since it's been ages since there was a kernel update for R4. The games in my card are mostly old games.

I'll go through the whole thing again and see if I missed something.

7. Jhon 591

Take a look in thier download section http://www.r4ds.com/download.htm

Use WoodR4 v1.50 firmware

I have the R4 original revolution!, It is not SDHC type, This type of R4 dose not support SDHC microSD chips.

Only upto 2GB microSD chip can be used on it.

8. Prectorian

Could be you added a wrong kernel, maybe your R4 is not originally hosted by that site. Try double checking, it could be the source of your problem. If you have a back up of your original files before you did that update, do return to it, then simply add the RGF files. Depending on how old the games you are trying to play, on the original kernel it should work, else it will work for sure on the latest RGF files after you run YSMENU.nds or TTMENU.nds before loading the rom to play.

Its best if Jhon591 continue from here on, he knows best about YSMENU/TTMENU compare to me. I learn from him, so he's more like my sensei. :p

9. small_smiley

small_smiley Member

I use a microSD chip that's only 1GB in size and it worked fine with the old kernel. How do I move from the old kernel to wood? I just install the new firmware?

10. Jhon 591

Use the wood ;)

1GB fine , are you could buy a 2GB !

11. small_smiley

small_smiley Member

I'm fine with the 1gb card. I can switch games when I feel like it anyway. :))

So I just install the wood kernel?

12. Jhon 591

Ok if you see this on your card then use wood.

[​IMG]

If "not" this Card

If SDHC then will have to try and work somethink out as @prectorian mentiond .

SDHC mostly like this

[​IMG]

PS: Besure to backup your files, Befour doing anythink ^ incause of issues

13. small_smiley

small_smiley Member

I have the first one. I installed the wood kernel and it loaded! I thought that wood wouldn't be compatible with my card since it's the old R4! Thank you Jhon and prectorian for the help!

Btw, are the new games compatible with wood? It's been ages since I last put in some new games.

14. Jhon 591

Glad to hear!

All games are upto date and should work well :)

WoodR4 is top kernal

Your very welcome ;) , PS: WoodR4 updates about once a month, and you will find them here http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4-150-f30096.html

15. Prectorian

You're welcome.

16. Jhon 591

!lol... ha ha ha very funny prectorian, Like it ;)

17. Prectorian

;) you just noticed? LOL

18. Jhon 591

yes to buzzy and over looking :p