1. This forum is in read-only mode.

r4 card and ds battery

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by rubydube, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rubydube

rubydube New Member

since using r4 card, continually having to charg ds. Dose it take more power? or is my battery knackered? what do you think :)

2. hlw_rocer

hlw_rocer Well-Known Member

i dont think the flashcart affects anything
    its your ds
    and r4s suck in my opinion

3. mo_chedda

mo_chedda Member

be carful r4 are known for shorting out you ds screen

4. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

MoChedda, that's bull.
    Rubydude, could just be because your DS is old/has been used a lot. If it matters alot to you, on DealExtreme there's a very good buy: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28823
    You get a replacement battery, a screwdriver and a spare stylus for $3.50 with free delivery!
    There's no catch, I've ordered stuff from them and so has Tirith (he's a mod) so have a look.
    Hope that helped! ;)

PS there is nothing wrong with R4!!!

5. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

To add to the credibility of someirishkid, I have also experienced no issues with the R4. It's a dated card -- that much is certain -- but it does not harm the DS hardware at all. However, I do notice that I get a little bit less battery life than I do out of a legitimate game. I believe it has to do with the filesystem access and whatnot with the microSD card.

That said, if you're having to constantly charge your DS, it's a sign that the battery is wearing out. The official batteries can only withstand about 500 charges, or so I've heard. You can get an official battery from Nintendo's store for around $15. I'm not sure if DealExtreme's batteries carry Nintendo's Seal of Quality, but $3.50 sounds like a great deal. I've heard a lot of success stories from that site, and I may be looking to buy a few things from them in the future.

At any rate, mo_chedda is blatantly lying.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

There is no truth in that statement whatsoever. N5 was known for damaging consoles, but no other card, R4 clone or otherwise, has caused damage.

7. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

Maybe you should tap 3x L before starting a Game. It lowers the light.. (R4iSDHC)

8. mo_chedda

mo_chedda Member

i have a r4....

9. alexpk86

alexpk86 Well-Known Member

be sure that the backlight setting is set properly (at maximum the ds has to be charged every 2-3 hours)

10. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Yeah the backlight makes a big difference, plus after a while of lowering the brightness you get used to it anyway so do that, Rubydude.

11. Sidmarill

Sidmarill Well-Known Member

Mo-Chedda, you said you have an R4, so does that mean your screen is broken?
    If so, you probably have a Cloned R4.
    They're the bad guys :-\

If you're screens not broken, then why do you have a R4?
    Think about it, would you really keep something that's worth $50 to break something that once was worth $300?
    That's a loss of $250 (With that sum, obviously not real)...

12. mo_chedda

mo_chedda Member

its a clone and it broke my old ds (the bulky one) i still used it until my ds lite got stolen... i was going to buy the m3 but im broke right now and i rather get a new ds

13. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

clone owned your ds

14. N3o3k7

N3o3k7 Well-Known Member

i have an r4 and i normally get about 12-14 hours on the lowest light setting and like xelados said i do seem to find also that i get more time out of legit games but its only like an hour

also i find i get a bit more time if the sound is turned down as well

15. EntropicKitty

EntropicKitty Well-Known Member

I have an R4i and an R4... and they both kill my DS in 2-3 hours... though I have my screen brightness up pretty high... I've also had to replace my DS lite's battery twice because I play it with the charger plugged in a LOT

16. rubydube

rubydube New Member

thanks for all your reply's, some interesting comments!

17. J03YY98

J03YY98 Active Member

its not the r4 its just the screen brightness

18. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

New word: CLOWNED. :D

19. gettajob0007

gettajob0007 Well-Known Member

how is that pronounced clown - d or cl - o - nd

20. MysticMaja

MysticMaja Well-Known Member

Maybe you're using the brightest setting with the speakers at full volume...? I dunno.

Try comparing the battery life when you use an original game rather than an R4 or try getting a replacement battery. :)