1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Quick question before I start compressing ISOs to CSOs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by toffster92, Dec 9, 2011.

1. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

I'm currently using CFW PRO-B10 with a PSP 3000 04G

I found a program called PSP ISO compressor v1.4 which was written by danny_kay1710
    I was planning on compressing all of my ISOs to CSOs in order to save space on my 4GB memory stick.

My questions are:

Is the program a good one? Is there anything better you can recommend for compressing ISOs?
    What noticeable effects on the game would occur if I were to compress them? Like missing sounds or empty spaces in the background because the game didn't load the textures correctly due to trimmed data.
    Will my CFW be able to play CSOs properly?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

some games dont like being compressed.

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I use UMDGen. I've always used it and had no program-related issues with it.

As Loony already stated, some games don't like being compressed, although most (as in 95%) work fine compressed. In the other 5%, you'll notice that some textures won't load (like in Test Drive Unlimited) and you'll fall through the floor, or go through a wall, whatever didn't load in time.

You can also take space saving to a whole new level by ripping out the UPDATE folder, BGM, and other languages. Always, always, always have an untouched ISO for backup purposes if something goes wrong.

I'd also recommend having an ISO on hand in case the CSO doesn't work. I find that the programs don't quite pack in the data the same way that an untouched ISO has.

4. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

also try using different compression levels (1 being the lowest and 9 the highest) i use level 2 or 3 compression

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Why even bother sacrificing possible compatibility for only a 2 or 3 compression level, or even any compression level that isn't level 9?

You're better off just leaving them in ISOs and know that they run correctly, than to have the off-chance that they don't in CSO, and only get a minimal compression gain.

Even some games aren't worth compressing to level 9 because it only shaves off less than 5% of the total. It's not worth the time to compress them, nor is it worth the potential compatibility loss.

6. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Something to worry about, more than anything else, is lag. The God of War games lag as CSO's, so badly, you'll want to kill somebody. I forget what other games weren't fans of compression. It's been a few months.

You'll just have to check each game. Compress it. If it doesn't work well, take that back up copy you should have and use that.