1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Quick question about patching games...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jeremytodd1, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 Well-Known Member

So I'm getting an Acekard 2i and a DS Lite, but I have a question.

For example, on Kingdom Hearts you know how you get a black screen once you start the game? And the fix is to use the Hex thing or whatever to patch the game? My question is do you still have to do that stuff with an Acekard 2i? Or will the game run fine on this card without any patches?

I downloaded the ROM from romulation and am wondering if I have to patch it to get it working with an Acekard 2i.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Try it first is my advice-if it doesn't work remove the rom and patch it.

But keep a backup just incase it needs something else.

3. jeremytodd1

And what is usually the best way to patch a game? Where do you find the patch?

I have no clue about this stuff... I just with my Acekard 2i would get here already. :p

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

well there is a thread about with it here somewhere, you'll find it-it's stickied up the top.

But when it does come try it without the patch first-acekard is reliable and never done bad for me :)

5. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

with the AKAIO.1.5 firmware the game needs no patching

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Having the latest AKAIO with Acekard loader should solve most of your problems. If patching must be done, always check the Forums.

7. jeremytodd1

How do I tell if I have the AKAIO loaders?

I just remember putting the 1.5 AKAIO firmware on the memory card, but I don't remember anything about loaders...

8. anandjones

*The official Acekard loaders, separate from AKAIO. See this http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=AKAIO#Official_AK2_Loader

9. jeremytodd1

Are there any direct links to the loaders I need? I can't find them on that page...

10. anandjones

http://akaio.gbatemp.net/nloaders/

11. jeremytodd1

But those files are all already in the "__aio/loaders" folder... Do I need to replace those or something?

I think I understand everything else, it's just that this "loader" stuff confuses me.

12. anandjones

Yeah you should do so. Basically, it is the compatibility with commercial ROMs from the official firmware. AKAIO's compatibility should be better, however you have the official loader to fall back on in case a ROM doesn't work. Loader is referred as firmware, or system files.

13. jeremytodd1

Ok I just downloaded and replaced the loaders. Thanks man.

I don't need to worry about the whole loader thing anymore, right?

And by the way, you are by far the most helpful person I've seen on a message board, and I've been on message boards since '02. I've even ran a few forums before (and those forums all got more than ~100,000 posts). I've been asking questions on this board for a couple weeks and I think you answered all the questions.

14. anandjones

Pretty much it. Just make sure to check if they have a new loader version occasionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.