1. This forum is in read-only mode.

question about the hdd in my desktop

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Neon32, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

How do i find out if my hdd has 2.5"/3.5" sata cables ?

About my hdd :
    I have seen a sata data cable to it but there os no sata power cable ,but instead the power cable is a external one which comes from the psu.

I need this to buy a sata to usb cable.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

sata is sata whether the disk is 2.5" or 3.5" form factor,. the cables are no different. power and data are always separate cables.

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

So if i buy any sata to usb converter then it will work with my hdd ?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

It should, but make sure you know which USB you have on the target device, i.e. 2.0 or 3.0, etc. as it could effect performance.

5. Loonylion

it will need power from a separate source.

6. Prectorian

If he buys a "cable set", it should already be provided.

7. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

8. Prectorian

9. Loonylion

10. Prectorian

That's true it won't, because what he chooses was labelled for SATA 2.5" HDD.

11. Loonylion

labelling doesn't matter, its the fact it draws its power from USB which cant provide enough for a 3.5" hard disk.

12. Prectorian

Let's see if I get this right;
    A 2.5" HDD requires 5Watt to run which is what a USB 2.0 delivers.
    A 3.5" HDD requires 5Watt to start up but needs an additional 12-14Watt to actually run.

But I think if one of the cables is a FireWire which can deliver 45Watt (for power supply) and a USB 2.0 (for data transfer), it should suffice just as well. Then again that is if his hardware (pc/laptop) got a FireWire port on it, else no point talking about it.

Ultimately, up to now we don't actually know if Neon32 intent to use that cable for a 2.5" or 3.5". If for the later, then yes, it won't suffice.

13. Loonylion

USB is 5v 500mA for a data cable or 1A for power only.

neither of the cables is firewire, and laptop firewire ports dont usually carry power anyway. (4pin doesn't carry power, 6 pin does)

14. Prectorian

The one he chooses doesn't have FireWire, it's only USB 3.0 and 2.0. That should deliver 10V right? That should be enough for a 2.5" SATA HDD data transfer. Of cause heavy duty tasks will be a no go without extra juice.

15. Loonylion

no its still only 5V, just potentially up to 1.5A

16. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

I do intend to use this for a 3.5" but it seems that ones with usb 3.0 are really expensive, so im currently searching for a affordable model.

I'll post it here once i find one .