1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Question about my N64 emulator

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by drifter723, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drifter723

drifter723 New Member

Some games work perfectly fine on my N64 emulator, while others won't even load. I can run Perfect Dark and Goldeneye perfectly. But when I try to play Star Wars Rogue Squadron, I can't even get to the main menu. It can't be my computer, because I have an Intel T2500 @ 2.0 GHz with a GB of RAM. The graphics card isn't anything special, but I've run higher requirement games on my computer, so I don't quite understand why Rogue Squadron won't work.

I've also noticed that some games load and work, but after about 10 minutes my sound just dies. I reset and it doesn't help.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It could well be your graphics card; emulation requires hardware requirements many times above those of the emulated system, how many times over depends on the complexity of the target system and how good the emulator is (how accurate and how well optimised). So don't assume its not your computer.

It could be that rogue squadron is not compatible with your emulator; which emulator are you using?

3. ThisIsTheUsername

ThisIsTheUsername Active Member

If you are using Project64 emulator this is list of poorly supported or unsupported games: (from appendix manual of ver. 1.6)

The games listed here will have problems with the default settings. Here is a complete list of all games that are known not to work with either Project64 or it's default plugins.

The following games are known not to be supported by Jabo's Plugins, so you must use an alternative plugin:

video not supported:
    Dexanoid R1 by Protest Design (PD)
    Heiwa Pachinko World 64 (J)
    Ide Yosuke no Mahjong Juku (J)
    Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (U)
    Kuiki Uhabi Suigou (J)
    Last Legion UX (J)
    Mia Hamm Soccer 64 (U)
    Michael Owens WLS 2000 (E)
    Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyo Party (J)
    RTL World League Soccer 2000 (G)
    Star Wars - Rogue Squadron (E) & (U)
    Star Wars - Shutsugeki! Rogue Chuutai (J)
    Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo (E) & (U)
    Stunt Racer 64 (U)
    Telefoot Soccer 2000 (F)
    Toukon Road - Brave Spirits (J)
    Toukon Road 2 - The Next Generation (J)
    World Driver Championship (E) & (U)

sound not supported:
    King Hill 64 - Extreme Snowboarding (J)
    Twisted Edge Extreme Snowboarding (E) & (U)

The following games are not supported by Project64, so you must use an alternative emulator:
    Densha de Go! 64 (J)
    GameShark Pro V3.3 (Unl)
    Mario no Photopie (J)
    NFL Quarterback Club 98 (E) & (U)
    Puzzle Master 64 by Michael Searl (PD)
    Taz Express (E)

4. drifter723

drifter723 New Member

Ok, so I need to switch my video settings so I'm not using Jabo's plugins.

I am indeed running Project64. Tried using 1964 and that didn't work too well.

5. cab9541

cab9541 Well-Known Member

project 64 is much better anyway. i didnt see re2 on that list and i have tried at least a few different plugins wonder if that slipped by the list or i still may have hope

6. Loonylion

Not in my experience.

7. cab9541

what games does it work better with? everytime i have tried to use 1964 i get massive errors and my cpu is usually is running at almost full power while p64 runs at about 35% of my cpu

8. Loonylion

it was the only N64 emulator that could run on my 400mhz K6-2 years ago

9. cab9541

huh maybe i have been doing something wrong with the settings or plugins. although i do think p64 has better compatibility i couldnt get quite a few games to run even before my cat ruined my xps

10. drifter723

drifter723 New Member

I found the site that has the various plugins for project64. Any idea which one will run rogue squadron? Or is it a matter of trial and error?

11. janiefoxkills

janiefoxkills Member

I've been on the forums of about 6 different N64 emulators and even talked to some of the admins and I've not come across anyone who's been able to successfully emulate rogue squadron. Most emus end up freezing at the N64 logo menu screen. The best of them have been able to play the game but with massive freezing, crashing upon mission start, massive texture failure, no enemies (seriously), and with no sky or ground. That's the closest they came. I saw a video of it, it was unplayable. Simply atrocious.

It's going to take someone going back through and dealing with those issues or creating a massive set of plug-ins for this game to ever run properly. For the time being however, give up. I would check back in a year. On the off-chance that someone actually discovers a way to successfully run this rom please don't just play and forget about us here on the forums. If anyone comes up with other valuable information relevant to this thread please don't hesitate to post that as well.

Just by the way, to be clear this is not a matter of appropriate plug-ins at the current moment, meaning, what you'd need to run this game doesn't actually exist yet. At least that is my understanding from everyone I've talked to so far.

Also, Resident Evil and RE2 can be run on Project 64 with the proper plug-ins, (search on google for your emu and the proper set or the forums of your emu). However, if you'd rather not search and download a whole new set you can simply download a PSX emu, (ePSXe), and then download a RE 2 ISO (a PSX rom basically). I've never run into an issue running a PSX iso. Plus this way you can also run Dino Crisis! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.