1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Question about DS lite hinge part for replacement.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geminis076, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Geminis076

Geminis076 Well-Known Member

Hi, I just received my new DS Lite housing from DealExtreme. I wasn't sure if it would come with a new hinge part or not, I had read something that made me think it did so I didn't order it. Looks like it's an additional part I need to order.

I've never replaced housing before, but I'll be sure to do research and look on YouTube, I'm going to order a hinge but just wondering, what exactly do I need to order, what is common when the hinges give out? I'm I ordering a left and right hinge? Do I only need one hinge or will I most likely need two?

My friend gave me her son's beat up DS, works great but her dog got a hold of it and chewed it up good, plus the hinges are bad, top part just flops around.

2. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

If its a case replacement the hinges are molded in so there shouldn't be any separate parts to buy only things you would need is a housing for the stylus the clear LED Illuminator,battery screw tap and the metal GBA slot guide and all of those you can remove from the old DS Lite. depending on the brand you purchased it should have came with instructions plus a "tri-wing" screwdriver. here is a tutorial on doing a case mod if that helps.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Ds lite hinges always break on the right side before anywhere else-FACT.

I need 2 shells now :(

4. MadmanNero

^Your rough on those things aren't you? on that note i'm surprised I haven't broken mine yet. *finds wood to knock on*

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

one should never talk about broken hinges on DS's... a few days after I first heard about people getting them, mine broke too

6. Geminis076

Geminis076 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the tutorial link! No the screwdriver wasn't included but I did order it, arrived along with the replacement housing. Yes I'll pick apart the old DS for additional parts, been looking forward to replacing the housing, I like do-it-yourself type stuff!
    Post Merge: [time]1252480671[/time]
    Holy moly, I just skimmed through the photo tutorial, looks insane :eek: ! But still looks like fun, hope I don't get frustrated and throw it across the room :( . I'm a sculptor with steady hands, lots of patience and experience with sculpting miniatures with fine detail so as long as I'm careful and go slow should turn out OK.

7. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

:eek: i didn't know you could do that!! i wanted to throw mine away... i'm so gonna try to do this :p

thnx for the link apocalyptica :D

8. MadmanNero

Best thing is take your time and don't rush also don't force anything especially when working with the ribbon cable and the power switch I admit it looks overwhelming at first but after a few times it gets easier and if the option is available to you it may be worth your time to practice on a broken unit with the dissassembley and reassembly so you can get a feel of the placements of the parts and other things then when you feel comfortable with it then go for the real deal.

9. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

i replaced the case of my nds lite. it was pretty hard to do and pretty frustrating, especially that ribbon cable, that's really hard to get out and back in. i think i broke it cause my ds just gives a light flash now :( i'm gonna try to take it a part tomorrow right now i'm to frustrated with it