1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Question about .7z VS .rar zipped files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ken86turbo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ken86turbo

ken86turbo New Member

Hello, I'm new at downloading iso's and such, and I found this site is one of the largest for downloading PSX games. I was looking at the size of the .rar files for PSX and they are huge! (most well over 100MG) and then I look at N64 games in .7z format and notice they are much smaller (less than 20MG). I'm sure the N64 games are larger originally than PSX 32 bit games. Why such a big size difference? If .7z compresses better, why not use that format for all zipping?
    Maybe it's a dumb question, but for a newbie like me stuck with a WildBlue satellite internet connection until DSL comes my way, the size of the download files is a big deal.
    Could anyone enlighten me on this subject? Thanks

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

7z has a slightly better compression (not very big). But the difference in file size between the PSX and N64 is not because they are using 7z instead of RAR. It's because N64 Games are that much smaller.

N64 game cartridges vary from 4MB to 64MB.
    PSX games are CDs, and a CD can carry 700MB+ of data.

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

ISOs are disc images. The Nintendo 64 uses ROM cartridges, not discs. Their games are simply much smaller in size than PSX games, which are written onto CD-ROMs.

32 bit and 64 bit do not refer to the game, they refer to the console's CPU.

Edit: Ninja'd. Again. :p

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we dont use 7z because people don't know about it and we'd get hundreds of people complaining because they don't know what .7z is and they're too stupid/lazy to look it up.

5. ken86turbo

ken86turbo New Member

That's amazing on the difference in file size. I always assumed the newer the system the larger the games become. Found to be true in some circumstances. Thanks for your responses, this is a great site!

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Playstation games, on average, had better sound and featured FMVs and such. Audio and Video data takes up a lot of space. One of the main reasons the Playstation started getting better games than the N64 was due to the media format. Could you imagine playing a PSX era Final Fantasy game on the N64? You'd have a couple dozen cartridges or you wouldn't have had all the FMVs.