1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PSX games on your PSP - The Diffinitive and most importantly; CORRECT guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by weterr123, Oct 13, 2009.

1. weterr123

weterr123 Active Member

Ok guys, I'm gonna give you a step by step guide on how to get PSX games working perfectly. (This means no freezing, or loss of background music, which you will see reported on official sites of what PSX games supposedly work or not. (THEY ALL WORK)).This guide is for those who have a good knowledge of custom firmware. Before I Begin, ignore my "rank" and lack of avatar, I'm new to the site.

First and foremost, make sure you have winrar installed on your PC.

1) Most Obviously, you need Custom Firmware. For PSX games, at least version 3.03.
    2) You need a plugin called popsloader on your beloved PSP, and you enable it through the recovery menu. Popsloader allows you to play games through a different firmware as opposed to just your current one. (eg, mine is 5.00 M33-3, and popsloader gives me the use of all previous firmwares).
    3) Next, you need an application called popstation, this converts ISOs, BINs, IMG, etc etc. Basically whichever format you download your PSX games. Here's the link: http://pspupdates.qj.net/Simple-Popstation-Gui-v2-21-beta/pg/49/aid/78985
    4) Then, you go and download your required PSX files. They will most likely be in winrar format (.rar). Rightclick on it (or on part 1 if many parts) and select "extract here". This will extract the largest file (BIN or IMG) and a tiny file which is the CUE file (.cue). The CUE file is essential, if you proceed without it, you will have a problem with the end result, such as loss of BGM or SFX or simply freezing.
    5) Open the popstation. In the top bar click browse and select the extracted CUE file. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR WHICH NO ONE SEEMS TO DO, HENCE ALL THE PROBLEMS.(Check this site to see what i mean:http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37039
    Check particularly Rayman, this one is complained about all over the net as getting stuck at the ubisoft logo. Most people will naturally select the larger BIN or IMG file, but it will not take the CUE file into account which holds the essential sound tracks and smooth running of the game.
    6) After you've clicked "go" at the bottom of the popstation, it will convert the file into an EBOOT file, which is a file that can be read by your PSP. Have your PSP connected to your PC and the popstation will happily transfer it to your game directory, and voila!!
    7) When you click on the game to play on your PSP for the first time it will come up with the popsloader list. most games will work on original from flash, if not, then exit, click on the game holding the R trigger and the pops list will appear; try different ones.

Thanks, message back with any queries

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Not bad, while we already have a guide that teaches you how to do this (but with psx2psp 1.4) it's good to include the pop's firmware change option :)

If you have a look in the tutorials section-take a good look at them...

Your info is indeed correct-but if you tidy it up a bit more I reckon it's worthy of going there :)

Otherwise nice job :)

(BTW-should have been in tech help-but if this meets standards prehaps it'll be moved to tutorials section)