1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PSX Code reading tools?/ how to crack open PSX source code?/how to read PSX code

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Duncan Idaho, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

hi im seeking for a friend some tools that allow him to read the code of PSX games, nameley Yu-gi-oh! forbidden memories, since several members of a diferent coumunity (including me) we have been trying to crack the system without using any tools, can any one help me? also sorry if this si not the appropiate section, im not sure if this was meant onto technical help or the request section

i just got the the format that we are dealing with: .XA for audio, .STR for video, the .DAT (but I guess this one is hopeless) and the one that's bothering me, .MRG.

being the MRG the one we are suspecting that the .dat and the . MRG contain the data of the game, im seeking specifically programs that allow both of us read the files.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Not possible, you cant get source code back from compiled code.

3. Duncan Idaho

really? since my friend actually magnaged to crack open, some of the data of the alreday burned game, for example we discovered that the game uses PERL language, plus not only that but we alreday have at least 2 files to work around with it, also there is no program that allows us to crack open the disc image, the .img/ .bin, etc.?

4. Loonylion

you can get machine code, that's what you get if you decompile compiled code. You can't get back to a high level language. Perl is not a compiled language.

5. Duncan Idaho

really? why not? , also we recently discovered a ton of command lines, i remember a similar language named WML were whenever i opened the file it did show up the complete format.

6. Loonylion

because its not possible. Compiling converts high level code to machine code, theres no way to go back. Perl is an interpreted language, meaning it has to be run through an interpreter, it cannot be compiled into a standalone executable.

WML is not a progamming language.

7. Duncan Idaho

Wesnoth markup Language, its a special language used for the MMOPRG named wesnoth, thats how we made the campains, using a script similar to pearl, also i can read the info directly from the image file, if its .img or .iso?, if not possible either thanks, ill see what can we do with the little we have, well at least with that little, we magnaged to discover the field eninge fo the game.

8. Loonylion

a markup language is not a programming language, and anything embedded in a game will be interpreted, not compiled.

WML is in fact wireless markup language, which is like a version of HTML for mobile browsers (back in the day when cellphones had single colour screens and couldnt display images).

9. Duncan Idaho

*sigh* we made so much progress and we hit a wall, thanks, but im wondering how people extract gameshark codes from the game data itself, since i know some one (a neoseeker member named ASephiroth) was hacking digimon world 2003 in order to obtain codes to quickly level up the digi evolved forms.

10. Kaichi

Kaichi Well-Known Member

Re: PSX Code reading tools?/ how to crack open PSX source code?/how to read PSX

You could probably infer this from Looney's earlier posts, but these hacks are made through analyzing, reversing, and/or rewriting of the machine language code that you get from debugging/disassembling the game.

11. Duncan Idaho

well so far he magnaged to get near the core of the game, he alreday found the patcher, the person who translated and modified the game for the NTSC version, it seems to live in kansas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.