1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PSP or PS2 in pc????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aasl_arvie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. aasl_arvie

aasl_arvie Member

I just want to ask can we play PSP or PS2 in our PC?if it possible what is the minimun requirements to play it?and what emulator should we have (can you give me the link =p)
    thank you for your answers :D

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes, judging you have a powerful computer. Also, PSP and PS2 emulation is crap at the moment, so I'd doubt you'd be able to run a game at decent speed. Go to http://www.emulator-zone.com/, and check out the emulators in the pages.

3. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Even if you have a powerful computer the crappy emulators won't allow you to play the game on any decent speed.. I have tried it many times.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

For PSP, the two posts above me are spot on. However, PS2 emulation is surprisingly good at the moment (lightyears ahead of gamecube and xbox, atleast). Be sure to check out PCSX2, it's got a big dedicated team, and a functional emulator growing in functionality. A long time ago, maybe 1-2 years ago (I have poor time perception, what can I say), Final Fantasy X was completely playable, in that someone actually played through the whole game on an emulator. There have been many advances in abilities and speed of the emulator since then.

What it really comes down to in modern emulation is your processor. Unless your computer is significantly obscure in performance balance, this is true. If you actually do have a great MULTICORE (big factor) processor, there are games you may actually be able to reach 60FPS in.

See: http://www.pcsx2.net/screenshots.php

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Also having at least 1GB of RAM is important, as well as a very good graphics card (takes some of the pressure off the CPU)

6. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

most of the time, if you have a multi core processor and a good graphics card, you'll have 3 or 4 GB of RAM, not just 1.

7. Loonylion

windows XP can't use more than 3 properly, and I only have two because putting 3GB in slows down the ram speed. For some reason this motherboard (and my previous) can't run full slots at DDR400, and putting 512s in the second slot makes them all run single channel.

8. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

Wow that's really weird, but yeah having that higher latency can hurt you, especially on AMD systems.

As for the PCSX2 I was able to get Final Fantasy X up and running at good speeds, but it did having missing textures every now and then. It's the only game I've ever tested on it, mostly I was just curious how my computer would run it.

9. insanecrazy07

For some reason, FFX is always the game to test it with.

my friend has 4 GB in his computer but yeah i know that having more than 3 can screw things up. it all depends on what you buy and what setup you are using.

10. thebass324

If it makes you feel any better I tried it with FFXII too, but I can't remember what happened exactly. I remember watching the intro movie, but I can't remember if it was playable.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

There was a guy who emulated FFXII nearly perfectly, his computer cost $5000 or something.

I sort of stated that.

12. insanecrazy07

if FFX is playable, then FFX-2 should be since they use the exact same graphics and whatnot.

seems like the FF series are the only games that people have been successful with.

13. DevilDinah

DevilDinah Well-Known Member

There are some sites that has people claiming that they have the perfect PSP Emulator, but they were all junk.

14. aasl_arvie

aasl_arvie Member

thank you for the answers,so I believe that my computer will not be able to play PS2 or PSP then hehehehe
    sorry for my english ;)

15. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Uh, if you're video card and memory are sufficient, not really. Like I said, unless your system is strongly unbalanced (if your processor is strong enough to run PCSX2 at full speed, odds are that the rest of your system is tough enough also), your processor will likely be the determination of speed, though what loony said was right. Having 3-4GB system memory to run PCSX2 is completely unnecessary. If system X has 2GB RAM and system Y is the exact same, with 3GB memory, there will be little if any increase in speed. Graphics card is slightly more important, but most of the time it won't have that much relying on it, and you're able to adjust resolution and other video options with little/no loss to speed.

16. insanecrazy07

like I said, most people don't buy just 1 GB of ram if they have state of the art computers.
    most people max out everything (without really worrying about price).

and like you said, having 3-4 GB of ram is unnecessary, but that's the whole point. It IS unnecessary.
    haven't you figured out american consumerism yet?

why go with 1 when you can have...4.

17. thebass324

For me the point in having 4 gigs of RAM on my new computer was an attempt at future-proofing, hopefully it'll allow my computer to last longer before having to upgrade components or build a new one altogether. Most amounts of RAM have been considered excessive at one point in time, but now are essential or obsolete.

18. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Seriously, how do you manage to breath? If you're wrong, just say so.

19. bleh, I've never even seen an xbox emulator yet, not that I'm interested in that box of crap
    and gamecube emulation isn't that bad actually, super smash bros melee has been able to run at normal speeds

20. Loonylion

theres an xbox recompiler that recompiles xbox games into native windows executables, so you don't actually need an emulator.