1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Psp model type...am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mds64, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I managed to finally find a psp slim, in pretty good condition (compared to other's anyway XD) but I am now scared of a little number I glanced upon...

I have heard that some of these later models can't be hacked, and after some more browsing, I find that there is a 2001 model (not sure the deal is yet) and now am freaked out...

I have YET to get it modded, but...is it compatible with custom firmware, the current official is 4.05...

Is this P.O.C gonna be a waste of 200 bucks, or have I jumped the gun, this thing is 2 tone some kid broke the battery case, but it was the only psp with a better screen. I DON'T want to find out it can't be hacked ethier :(

(I can't take it back unless there is something wrong with it...help!)

EDIT:I checked the battery if that may help, battery SLOT says "date code-7D"
    ...Most likly screwed right, I mean sheesh the eb guys let me study the bloody thing, It was hard enough to find too!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not sure but I think its the PSP-3000 that can't be downgraded.

3. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

You could try the ChickHen R2/Unofficial for OFW 5.03, though it doesnt support ISO/CSO, etc. Its just for mainly using Homebrew stuffs. it works on PSP, 1000,2000,3000.

It was just released a couple of days ago.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It's a step in the right direction. Hopefully the PSP 3000 will be broken soon

5. king_leo

king_leo Well-Known Member

can i have it

6. Krest71

Krest71 Member

I think it was anything past 8C for the date code can't be modded. Not sure about this, but try.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I read about that too today, but the mother board (and the fact that this one's firmware is 4.05) are what worry me, it may have been updated but the damage to the psp sheel indicates it was a child who owned this machine...

Can I have a link to the "ChickHen R2/Unofficial for OFW 5.03", but will that even work with the 4.05 I'm on?

8. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

Have you considered the pandora battery? From what i know the only PSP that baby cant hack is the 3000 model(a.k.a the lite) i got a phat myself running 3.72 M33-3

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I have but I CAN'T get one (don't have credit/debit card) and I lack the skills to hack my own (and wth can I find a sony battery in melbourne) and thus I need to test this, I have green light (date code is safe) but I have no clue what the mother board is, I need a test for the system, I just got that chicken thing but need to know if it will work on current firmwarw without damage (I'm not updating this until I know it's safe)

10. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

Well what letter do you have under the model number? If you have a G then you have the TA88-motherboard which is fully hackable.

the only unhackable PSP-2002 model motherboard is the TA88v3, so unless you dont have that your PSP is hackable.

But if your offical firmware is above 4.01 and its a new PSP(3 months or younger) theres a high possibility that you got a TA88v3 motherboard.

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Where do I find the model number, please don't say the box...it's second hand :(

The date code is 7D (under battery) and there is a number next to the wifi logo, next to the tick is this number...

N1158

Anything I missed?

EDIT:first post has serial, if it doesn't since I...forgot just now,

HA0171285

Hope it's compatible, the firmware is above, but it could have just been updated...)

12. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

The modelnumber is located right under the screen, on a sticker ending with PSP-(modelnumber) and under that one should be a letter.

Ohh wait a second...date-code 7D..on a PSP slim..7D...does your serial code start with HU2? or does it start with something else?

13. CarnageMayhem

CarnageMayhem Member

Well, as far as i know, the only 2 unhackables psp are those with 2010 & 3000 on the serial number... Dont know about 2002...

If you got the skills (and guts) you can make your own psp/pandora battery adding a little switch in the battery, but for that your supposedly to pry open the battery, then disconnect a pin of an integrated circuit. The switch i was telling about is to connect this pin (thus behave like a normal psp battery) or disconnect it to make it work as a pandora or service mode battery, whatever name you like.

But the method i recommend (and use) is to make the pandora battery/magic stick using another hacked psp if possible.

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

My previous post has it, serial starts with HA0 (look at my edit part in past post)

...Unfortunatly, I have no skill or guts to take apart this psp, and not sure if current screw drivers would fit...

If the date code, and serial number are "green to go", would it matter or does the mother board be different at times...

15. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

If the date-code and the serial numbers in this case 7D and HA your psp is fully hackable and i'd say with a date code of 7D its a TA88 motherboard which is hackable.

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...YAY!

So the firmware could have just been an update from original...

But do those numbers mean absolutly NO killers mother board, I'm getting someone else to do this, but don't want them opening it up and telling me, would rather sell it un-opened

17. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

Well if your up to reading alot and want to be 100% sure read this guide:

http://www.techbot.net/2009/03/17/how-to-check-if-your-psp-is-crack-able-or-not/

I can say its 100% sure a no killer-mother board, but if you want to feel 100% secure and that guy explains it all.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

As long as I don't have to open it up...

This psp belonged to a kid, the damage and fact it's mis-coloured annoys me, I only bought it because it seemed to be the closest to be hackable, if it can't be hacked I'd get rid of it in current condition...

But thanks anyways, it seems green light so far, but of course, until the inards are opened up I kight never fully know...

19. zeno16

zeno16 Active Member

Your welcome, and yea i'd personally say its green lights all the way, but i felt the same when i was going to hack my first PSP, i even ended up destroying a battery before i bought a pandora battery lol. As they say better safe then sorry. ^^

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...I would have done the pandora trick, but, the risk of an exploading battery is a bit much, I need my eyes for other things...that and destroying a psp, while it was a dream of mine once, isn't what I'm wanting...

The place I take it too might confirm it, and put in all the stuff I want of course, thank you all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.