1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PSP Hacking: What are the advantages?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eadelas, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Eadelas

Eadelas Well-Known Member

So I just got my PSP 2000 replaced with the new 3000 and I was wondering what are the advantages of hacking my hackable 2000? I just wanna know if it would be good for my gaming needs.

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Well, that depends on which models of 2000 you have, if it was one of the old models, then you can have permanent CFW on it,
    if not, then you will get the same partially hacked PSP like your 3000 with 5.03.

3. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Advantages of custom firmware:

* Set the processor speed (i.e. run at higher clock speed to reduce lag in games, or run at lower speed to conserve battery life.)

* Run PSP game ISOs off your memory stick. If you have UMD games which have long load times, rip the ISO off the UMD, and transfer to your memory stick. This reduces the load times significantly.

* Run homebrew applications such as emulators for SNES, Sega Genesis, and Sony Playstation (POPs).

* For certain custom firmware, you can enable a new function that allows you to charge your PSP with a USB Cable plugged into your computer. Your PSP must be on the whole time to take advantage of this feature however.

4. Eadelas

That sounds great! Is there a tutorial in here? Preferably a video tutorial since I'm not that familiar with firmware lingo.

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I've got one, but it's only for PSP2000v2s, and you will most likely need a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick that you create yourself.

6. Eadelas

Could you pm to me how do I create a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick?

7. insanecrazy07

It's all in the tutorial.

8. doughboy

doughboy Guest

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=51681.0
    I would be glad to help you as well, please do as it says...
    Just so you know, you will need 2 psp in order not to buy anything...
    If you don't have 2 PSP's (one hacked and one normal) you will not be able to hack the other one.
    I will give you the files needed for the memory card to make it a 'magic mc' once you buy or make your pandora batt...

Things you can do with CFW:
    -Play old school games such as SNES, SEGA, GBA, ARCADE etc...
    You can also back up your own UMD games or download rips from the internet.
    -Custom Themes
    -There are other cool things, but can't list them all...
    My best friend Hypr pretty much names it all :p

9. insanecrazy07

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=8507.msg83764#msg83764

It's a little outdated, but you can replace the firmware with the one you want.
    I wrote this when 4.01 just came out.

10. doughboy

doughboy Guest

you do realize you don't need to do all that to downgrade...
    I have downgraded from 6.20 back to 3.71M33 and then updated to the latest release...
    I will eventually make a tutorial for everybody.

11. insanecrazy07

lol...
    Did you actually read the guide or did you just see a wall of text and decided it was a long ass tutorial?
    The whole process takes about 2 minutes to actually do.
    I wrote it in lamens terms so that even the beginners can understand. It seems long, but it's just broken down completely.

Either way, your method still requires the battery just like mine.
    And I bet you it's the same exact thing...

12. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I guess you get CFW either way but I did assume it would take longer...you know since all the 1.50 and 3.90 adding + this + that...
    I'll make a thread on my method in 2 days or so...
    I just use Hellcats P N Installer and install 3.71 and then upgrade...

13. insanecrazy07

Just from that, that sounds like a two parter.
    Install this, then go to final product.
    With my method you can just go directly to the end product. 390 is interchangeable with any PBP file.
    It's meant to flash the firmware, so as long as you have the correct files, you can flash whatever firmware you want. 390 is just what I used back when I first wrote the tutorial.

14. Eadelas

I guess I better get to making the pandora battery and magic ms then. Might take me a while since I don't have much free time because I'm getting married in a week.

15. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I said I would help...guess you don't want it.
    If you change your mind though I would be more than happy to help.
    *I would suggest you not make the pandora if you are planning too as you stated...
    It can render your psp useless if not done right (it does require opening your battery up and desolder & resoldering)
    So don't be cheap, cause they are cheap....you might end up looking like my friend here and you will most likely break your battery:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MgHBvp1uwk

16. insanecrazy07

I recommend buying one as well, especially if you don't know what you're doing.
    I love how everyone on my tutorial thread was all like nah man modding the battery isn't so hard...

I look at it this way. If the procedure goes right, I get a hacked PSP.
    If the procedure goes wrong, I have to buy a new battery ANYWAY.

So why don't you buy a premade Pandora and save yourself the hassle?

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

With a hacked PSP, the advantages are leaps and bounds over what a regular PSP can do.

Hell, there's 3D PSP games now, but you need glasses of course. :p - http://www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/psp-homebrew-psp3dprx-v01.html