1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PSP and other iso Emulator Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ZeroSlayer01, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ZeroSlayer01

ZeroSlayer01 Well-Known Member

So, I was looking at the PSP emulator details on one of those emulator downloading sites, and I happened to see nothing about bios (although it did suggest looking on the official site for configuration details, but I'm assuming that's like configuring controls and such). Does the PSP take any bios or other files that need to be downloaded on a third party site to run, or can I just run it straight after downloading it? Also, is it going to change any of my graphics or anything on my computer like the PSX emulator did (and it failed to work anyway even after doing that >>). I don't mind if it switches back, like the GBA emulator, but the PSX emulator didn't, and I had to go fart around with my control panel and such to try to get my graphics back close to what they were.

Also, if the PSP does require a bios or other third party file to run, are there any iso emulators that don't? Dreamcast seemed to, unfortunately ><. Also, I have a 32 bit system. Will they work? Thanks!

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

You may try JPCSP, most of the games, which are old, can be run directly on it, however some of the latest games,
    such as KHBBS need to be decrypted first before you can run it, which can only be done using actual PSP.

Patched games won't work as well, or those with Prometheus Loader.

and you don't need any BIOS or other files to run it.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Whether or not the emulator needs a copy of the system bios depends on the developer of the emulator. Some developers have been able to create their own "bios" for the emulator that works well enough. Others build an emulator around a copy of the systems actual bios. It is not something exclusive to "ISO" emulators, as you refer to them. I believe VBA, a good (the best?) GBA Emulator, can run with or without a GBA Bios. The real GBA Bios fixes some compatibility issues, etc.

More complicated systems would be harder to emulate without a copy of the BIOS, since the coder would have to create something to replace it. The old BLEEM! PS1 emulator was developed without using a copy of the PS1 BIOS, but Sony was still large enough to force them out of business with legal stuffs, even though they didn't steal their BIOS.

4. ZeroSlayer01

ZeroSlayer01 Well-Known Member

Alright, but what kind of emulator is JPCSP?

5. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

PSP

6. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

It is a Java-based emulator, if you know what that mean.

Just a simple load and play.