1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS3 hacking

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by msg2009, Jan 9, 2013.

1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

As a total noob I'd like to know if I can do this? Where can I get the stuff required? How easy is it? Can I still go online? etc.
    I found some stuff on google but they say some versions are rubbish and could brick my PS3.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

cfw does have a risk of bricking, yes

3. msg2009

I'm not bothered about using it online really, as long as I can play back up games, that's my main plan. I don't want to have to cart around everything because I travel quite a lot.
    Post Merge: [time]1357754173[/time]
    What about the links from this place on facebook? http://www.facebook.com/ps3jailcom
    Is that safe to try? Or is there somewhere better?

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

This is my main source for stuff.

http://www.dashhacks.com/ps3.html

They cover news that links to the actual source, most of it being from psx-scene.

The rundown: Requirements for CFW
    -Maximum firmware must be 3.55
    -Latest PS3 model has to be either phat for slim, not super slim.
    -A hardware downgrader will be required if you are not on 3.55

All later CFWs like Rogero's 4.30 CFW all start with 3.55 OFW. Currently, there is no way to go from 4.30 OFW directly to 4.30 CFW.

If you are on 3.55, then download Rogero's 4.30 CFW v2.05, rename it PS3UPDAT.pup in usb:\PS3\UPDATE\ and run from the XMB and update via Storage.

5. msg2009

What's the chances of it getting bricked?

6. insanecrazy07

There's always going to be that inherent chance of bricking. Any interruption of the process can do that, so make sure that everything is secure before you do it. A flimsy USB or USB hub can increase those chances.

For Rogero's 4.30 v2.0-v2.05, there hasn't been any reports of bricking. You can start the installation right from the XMB instead of recovery mode. Recovery mode makes me nervous as hell when it's installing, which was the only way I could install 3.55 kmeaw CFW last time.

7. msg2009

Well I feel better knowing that. Ok I'll look it up, cheers.

8. insanecrazy07

Also, it goes without saying that you should double and triple check the MD5 checksum of the files that you are going to use to install with.

And unfortunately, the install will only work with whatever HDD you used to start with. Meaning, that you can't just slap in a larger formatted HDD and expect it to boot. I tried swapping the 120 GB drive that I had in there with a 500 GB one, formatted and it wouldn't boot and luckily the original firmware was 3.55, so all I needed to do was install 3.55 OFW and then install 4.30 CFW. If I had already been on 4.30 CFW when this happened, the lowest firmware I could have reinstalled was 4.30 OFW, which would have sucked real bad.

So basically, get the largest drive that you can and then install the CFW. You're pretty much stuck with that size until it breaks.