1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS2 Mod Chip Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhith, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

I was looking for a solder mod chip that allowed the playback of backups of PS2 and PS1 games and being able to run homebrew.

There seem to be a wide variety of choices and I can not find one clear choice on who to order from.
    I recently had a bad experience with www.mod-chip.com and they do NOT communicate at all so I want to avoid them like the plague.

I don't need anything with frills or anything special, just put my game in and play it.
    Hopefully for something that is about $20 or less.

I am located in the US so an American distributor would be appreciated but not recommended.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Well I've got a proper modchip in my PS2, for something easy, go for http://www.memor32.com/. It's a memory card which allows you to do pretty much what a modchip can do.

3. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

I don't mind doing something difficult, I've taken my PS2 slim v12 apart many times. I just don't need hard drive compatibility, built in memory to store files, operating systems and other options such as that.

4. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

I also see the ModBo4.0 around a lot.
    Seems to be a Matrix Infinity clone.

http://www.modchipstore.com/ps2-slim-mod-chip-modbo-40-16463.html

5. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I have a ModBo mod chip in my PS2 for years now and it has given me no problems whatsoever. It's probably not the 4.0 version, as it does struggle with some dual layer games i have backed up, but otherwise I really recommend it. I'm super happy I got it.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have a Memor32, it doesnt currently support all games but firmware is upgradable. I don't know how it fairs with PSX games, I've not tried it, but it does appear to not bypass region locks.

7. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Thank you grimsim and Loonylion.

I'm probably going to go with a ModBo, will give me something to do too. 8)

Just have to wait on that refund from mod-chip.com.

8. livetolove0301

livetolove0301 New Member

Thank you grimsim and Loonylion.