1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS2 Games on a PS3.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ultimate-Sonic-3000, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

Ultimate-Sonic-3000 Well-Known Member

I don't have a PS3 but is it true that you can play PS2 Games and save data into your hard drive on your PS3?

2. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

Yes the first versions of the ps3 has the drive to play ps2 games, but I dunt know the later ones if they can play.

3. nando123444

nando123444 Member

PS3 40 GB can but the new 80 gb cant

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

they are phasing them out since it cost more to make them backwards compatible...

I have heard a remour that it can still do it, via emulation...like the wii shop channel...

Download a game virtually...but not sure whether it's a sony shop deal or like as we do it here....as a custom emulator for the ps3...

All i know is current models in shops can't play ps2 disc, which sucks but then again my laptop plays blue ray and ps2 games XD

5. Naptha

Naptha Member

May be different in different regions, but in Europe, 40GB PS3 cannot play PS2 games. Neither can 80GB. 60GB models can but you won't find a new one anywhere and that's why a second hand one will set you back more than a new 80GB model.

Sony will probably release PS/PS2 games for download at some point.

6. joe_yoshi

joe_yoshi Well-Known Member

Yeah, my new 80GB (US region) does not play PS2 games... Which really sucks because my old PS2 broke and I have so many games that I can't play... =(

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Well, they do still sell PS2s if you really want one. I think they were only 120 dollars last I checked.

8. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

Ps3 60 gig Metal Gears edition works with ps2, and re-emerged on amazon, right now, since april 28, 2009.

Ps2 now is 100 bucks, due to the recently sony cut.

9. joe_yoshi

do you think it would be possible to switch out the disk drives and replace it with one of the older PS3 drives?

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its not the drive that determines PS2 compatibility, it's the components inside the PS3. Swapping disks would make no difference.

11. TirithRR

The disk drive is not what lets it PS2 games.

The old PS3 had an actual chip, I think it was called the Emotion Chip, that handled PS2 games. The newer (but still older) ones got rid of that chip, and used software emulation to play PS2 games. The newest ones got rid of the chip and the software, and cannot play PS2 games at all.

12. joe_yoshi

If it's a software thing couldn't Sony release an update for the PS3 that has the software?

13. TirithRR

They could, and I'm personally hoping they will. But I won't be holding my breath.

Maybe they'll do it after they stop selling PS2 consoles?

14. joe_yoshi

Maybe... But them stop selling PS2's should have been literally years ago... And they are still making PS2 games... at this rate it won't be for a while. =(

15. TirithRR

There are still more PS2 consoles on the shelf at the local super store than there are PS3, Wii, and Xbox360s combined.

Maybe they are just trying to sell off an overstocked supply and don't want the PS3 to compete with the PS2?

16. joe_yoshi

Possibly... but that doesn't explain why they are still making PS2 games...

17. raese786

raese786 Member

i have got a 40gig ps3 and ps2 games do not work on there.... they ONLY work on the 60gig but they dont make any more and second hand ones are more expensive than a 80gig so. LUKY YOU IF YOU HAVE GOT ONE!!!

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I deliberately bought a 60GB for the PS2 compatibility.

19. n3m3s!s

n3m3s!s Active Member

if you install the Linux in your PS3, you can install a PS2 emulator, so you can play PS2 games in every PS3. (a friend of mine made this. it works perfectly!!)

20. tomitanoshii

tomitanoshii Well-Known Member

@Loony - so how did the ps2 compatibility in the 60GB version went? I heard ps3 had some trouble with its backward compatibility on its old 80GB version and I recently heard that ps3 today has no ps2 compatibility whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.