1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS2, Free Mc Boot. "Super Slim" Model SPCH-90001a. Can I run this with emus?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by personuser, Jun 28, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hey, guys. I got my ps2 and it's a walmart "super slim" model. I have a standard 8mb ps2 memcard, a standard ps1 memcard and the following retail ps2 games: Crash Twinsanity, Crash Nitro Kart, Crash Tag Team Racing, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Mortal Kombat Deception and Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks.

My model no. Is Spch-90001 a.
    Browser: 1.40
    CD Player: 2.00
    PlayStation Driver: 2.00
    DVD Player: 3.11u
    I've heard that all models before 8C can run freemcboot, so...
    1. is a before 8c?
    2. How do I run freemcb? (with emulators, and how do I add roms)
    3. If I need to buy somethin to run freemcboot, what?

I also have a load of legit ps1 games, let me know if listing em will help, thanks.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You need swapdiscs or an earlier version of game shark to install it.

To be honest with you, FreeMcBoot is a pain in the royal ass to install.
    I tried it a couple of times and I wasn't too impressed with it.
    I just stuck with my Swap Magic discs and fliptop lid.

Plus, if you have a Slim PS2, then FreeMcboot won't work.

3. personuser

The title says "super slim"...

okay. Now.

What alternate methods are there to run backups and homebrew on my model (all specs in 1st post)

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Swap Disc.
    That's the only thing I can think of unless you want a mod-chip, then I would suggest hiring a professional solderer to do that.

5. personuser

So swap magic? Which work on the 90001?

EDIT: New swapmagics work for spch-90001 on their site. I'll read up a bit and update again.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yep, works on all versions/models of the PS2 regardless of the laser, chipset, model, etc, etc...

You will also need a fliptop lid.
    To install it, you will have to remove your lid and do some renovations (not much), but it will void your warranty.

7. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

umm, i got to say wrong on the part about it not working for any of the slim models, since im able to run it on a slim model

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I run ESR on a SCPH-70001 slim.

9. personuser

Hmm, fliptop lid DOES void the warranty. Didn't know you had to rip off part of the ps2.

So its it fairly easy/foolproof to install? (at least easier than saudering :p)

Oh also, will dvd playback still work if I swapdisc?

EDIT: Heeey, Why do I need a fliptop? The Super Slim is already a top-loader like the ps1s!

[​IMG]

My model. The guts are on the smaller left part (and the under the CD loader to the right) and the console lid pops up on the CD-sized portion on the right.

EDIT again: spch-90001 "works" according to them but I don't know which kit(s) i'll need for it.

And I don't know which tools I'd need. According to most sources the 9000X series has an extra sensor.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I haven't looked into FreeMcboot in a long time, so I'm not sure if it has been updated.
    But last time I was installing it on my PS2 Phat, it said that it wouldn't work on the 900X models of the PS2 Slim.

Check into FreeMcboot if you want, but I can't tell you anything further on that subject. I haven't messed with it too much and am not up to date about it's present conditions.

11. personuser

Ok, can someone tell me what swap magic I will need? And on the sm site it says it can play backup ps1 games, but in the 3.6 release notes it says it can't?

DOES swap magic do ps1, ps2 memcard and usb loading?

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

No.
    Swap Magic is only for PS2 games.
    You'll need a memory card, another swap disc set for PSX, and another set of discs for USB loading...

13. personuser

Current Memcards=standard sony 8mb ps2, standard sony ps1, also pelican sony ps1.
    So I need PS2 swap magic, a psx (for ps2) swap set (please recommend one, don't know which work) and a USB load swapset? Okay.

Will all this be under $100?

14. dlwhdrlf

dlwhdrlf Well-Known Member

first of all there is cheaper way to do this.

1.if you dont want to spend money on fliptop cover mod the censors yourself. I've done it and its easy
    2.you can use Gameshark AR or Codebreaker or Swapmagic to run FMCB. for use with AR and CB you have to use program called FCE Ultra.
    (for above tutorials go to http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html
    and yh

15. personuser

Sounds allright, but...
    1. I don't think I need a fliptop. The 90001 is a top-loader. May still need sensor mods.
    2. GS/AR isn't meant for this, and I have a newer model. I'll probably have to use swaps in the 1st place.
    3. "for use with AR and CB you have to use program called FCE Ultra." What? LOL! You don't HAVE to use FCEultra, that's an emulator! Even I know that!
    4. Also note, as I said,
    I wanna run ps2/ps1 backups and run emulators.

So, Getting the Swap Magic, PSX swap, and usb loaders will cost bout what?

16. dlwhdrlf

1.fceultra is alternative mode to run ELF files.(yh so u don't HAVE to use it)
    2.AR and CB is alternative too.(if you don't have swapmagic you can use those. and if you actually went to the link i gave u there is alot of alternative loaders you can use instead of swapmagic)

For running PS2 backup I recommand Open PS2 Loader 0.7. It lets you play backups without physical DVD copy of it. Although it works with slims, it might not work with the version you have(You store it into a Hard drive more info is HERE)

or

ESR r9b version. You will need to burn backups into actual DVD discs. more info HERE

For running PS1 backups I think you need atleast 1 legit PS1 game and use the swap method. Thats the only way I know.
    Swap Method
    1.put in an legit PS1 game (any PS1 game)
    2.when the PS1 logo come up, swap it with backup copy of PS1 game
    3.play!

For emulators Im assuming things like SNES or NES etc... stuff. for that you goto http://www.sksapps.com

Buying swap of PSX and USBloader is a ripoff.
    you can load usb ELF(ELF file is the installation file of Free McBoot or other homebrew PS2 apps) files with the ALTERNATIVES I mentioned above.
    Swapmagic might come in handy but ESR and OPL has more compatibility and the best part is ESR and OPL is free.

o and if you got any ALTERNATIVES you pretty much can get Swapmagic and Swapmagic Coder for free because there are ELF files of it flying around in the internet some where.

17. personuser

Though I agree with most of your post, I still need to BUY swapmagic in order to install free MC boot, ESR, OPL and any of that other stuff. I can't download swap magic because my ps2 is not modded yet and the ps2 would read it as a fake game. It has to be factory pressed to work.

OK, so I did a little research and I now know what I need to buy; Swap Magic 3.6 plus and Magic Switch pro v4.

So, a few qs.

1. What's the best site to get them at? Preferably a big site like amazon (maybe ebay?)
    2. The swap magic site says you can only play backups you rip from your own discs and not downloaded games. Is this true? I don't think so, but wanna confirm before I spend cash.
    So, esr/opl actually DO have better compatibility than swap magic? Hmm... I'll have to install them then. I'll ask about that later.
    Please answer, and thanks for everything so far and to come. This community is still awesome even after we got atom-bombed by the ESA. Hail RomU!

EDIT: Oh, also, lites don't support the HDD, I think. Can I load apps/roms from a portable hard drive/usb stick?

18. dlwhdrlf

1.goto the official swapmagic site and click on where to buy.
    2.Swapmagic can play any burned PS2 games if its compatible with swapmagic.(downloaded or backed up from your original)
    This is the best blank dvd to burn games on
    3.Slims do support HDD(HDD must connected by usb) or you can use portable hard drive.
    If you want to play games on HDD/Portable HD the games must be in OPL format

19. personuser

OKAY!
    1. I will probly get it from modchip.com.
    2. Okay, verbatim. Those I can get.
    3. ALRIGHT! So I CAN do it! And swap magic supports HD loading, right? COOL! And I can run emus from there too.
    ...and is opl format a certain file extension? can it be .ISO and .IMG? (and .elf for emus?)

thanks!

HEY, also, modchip saysa Swap Magic 3.8 is more compatible than 3.6. Is that true or does 3.8 have nothing more than AR codes?

20. dlwhdrlf

No Swapmagic does not allow you to run things off of HD. Swapmagic can only run elf files or run backups.
    (to run the elf file you have to burn them onto a blank dvd)
    3.search USButill (can't find it just tell me) and what this program does is it converts the .ISO of your game into OPL files which than you store into a HD and run the games off of OPL

and yes Swapmagic 3.8 has more compatability than swapmagic 3.6 and 3.8 also comes with cheat codes.