1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ps1 roms issue. how do i use this image file?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by arbitor365, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arbitor365

arbitor365 Member

i downloaded spyro 1, 2 and 3 off of this site. the first one was an iso. thats simple enough. i know how to use an iso. but then when i downloaded the other games, they were in this image format and had two other files (which i dont know the significance of). when i click on the image file it tells me i need a certain cd-burning software which i need to purchase online. well thats great!!!!!!

1) can you guys tell me what i can do with this thing to get it to work
    2) cant you guys just post the iso?!? whats wrong with that?!? why does it have to be in the ridiculous format?

2. musiclegend14

musiclegend14 Well-Known Member

try mounting the image files you are having trouble with, with a program called Alcohol 120%...you can find it easily on any torrent site and there are free trials out there.

mounting them will make programs see the image file as a CD/DVD in your drive

3. arbitor365

arbitor365 Member

1) i dont use torrents
    2) mounting doesnt work. i keep dragging the file onto every drive on my computer. none will accept it. they keep asking for a cd
    3) i dont want to download any programs onto my computer to make it work becuase i shouldnt have to. why cant the file be a fucking iso!!!???!

4. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

What are you playing this at?

-ePSXe can read disk formats(*.BIN,*.ISO,*.IMG,*.CUE,*.CUE,*.CCD,*.MDS,*.MDF etc)...

You're just used to this *.ISO format. There are a lot of disk image types out there.
    And it takes a lot of time to convert an image file to another, if it is a really big file, in my PC :).

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Most Burning software and emulators can read the common Image types. ISO, BIN, IMG. MDF is an Alcohol120 format I believe, but ePSXe 1.7.0 can read it just fine so can virtual drive software like Daemon Tools.

The files are in what ever format the person who original ripped the game made it as. You should be happy that you are able to get these images for free, and stop complaining about the format.

Welcome to the world of Emulation. If you don't want to install the programs to make things work, then you won't be emulating things very easily.

Converting image formats can lead to problems, and it's not worth it.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Simply mount, and create a image from that emulated drive.

7. musiclegend14

i believe he's trying to mount it by literally dragging the .iso onto one of his drives, without using a program.

8. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

ok man let see if i can say some thing to help. first of if i where you i upgrade to epsex 1.7.0. then i get the plugins package from this site.

relly when it comes to demon tools or some thing i dont use them. and the reson why is that epesx 1.7.0 can read the files with no proplems.

9. anandjones

He can use Alcohol 52% to mount then.

10. musiclegend14

wait what's the difference between 52% and 120%

I've actually never had an experience come up where i needed to use 120%, i just know what it does, but didn't know there was a 52%

11. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

*Note - He doesn't want to use any external programs.

12. anandjones

52% can emulate drives, and it is free. Well, he's probably not going to get far then.

13. musiclegend14

so basically it's a simpler version of 120%

well...he could always just keep trying to drag the image file to all of his drives...maybe the computer will eventually feel bad and except it

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

What the hell!

Ok-I've never had to buy anything (refering to first post)!

Ok, What version of epsxe do you have?

1.7.0 IS MORE COMPATIBLE and is a smaller download.

Calm down, some image types (clone cd, or ccd format as an example) have better sound quality once burnt so I have heard.

Keep all 3 in one place to play the best-img is the main file to play.

There is also mdf/mds format on some files-any shall do if in same place.

Now...which emulator and version you using?

EpsxE 1.7.0 can use all of those formats-not just iso format-just click "open iso" (yep it can play other formats) and find the game.

IF it fails to load-just get alchol 52% like I did-it's free-and doesn't take too much room.

If you think that "I still don't have to download anything" then think-it's the internet-and while the program can use those other formats as they are most times-heck prehaps they use that format because it compresses better-and making a smaller download (at least when I try).

AND that may explain "why can't it be an iso".

If you still don't want any more programs-then too bad-you got an older emulator-you have less compatibility-2 more downloads can't hurt-hell I bet you may download another game from here-IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT OF "damage" !

Simple-don't want them-don't play with emulators-get a real psx and burn these yourself-OH WAIT YOU MAY NEED TO "download" IMG BURN OR NERO.

...sorry, your post seems a tad narrow minded-if you want help from us-be prepared to download more software.

15. musiclegend14

do you consider updating ePSXe as downloading a program to make it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.