1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS1 FF8 anti-piracy question, can I make it stop freezing?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by personuser, May 25, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hey. I've got a ps1 and a (REAL) final fantasy 8 set, and on the 2nd disc, it freezes on a cutscene because the old disc is so scratched.

So, can I ask here...

I've got a lot of cds and wouldn't mind using one if this would work.

First of all, how to I correctly put the image onto a CD so it runs as a ps1 cd?

My PS1 is (spch-5501)

NOW, this is the tricky part. Since I have the original CDs for ff8, Can I start it up with my REAL disc 2, then change it to the fake before the scene (in other words, does the ps1 do AP checks DURING gameplay?)

Thank you so much to anyone who answers. I would love to play ff8 (its my 1st time thru) and playing on a computer just isn't the same.

Personuser

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you'd be able to do that or not...
    I have SwapDiscs for PS2 and I never have taken the burned disc out and put it back in to see if it reads it or not...
    It may work. Just try it and see what happens.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you might want to try taking your FF8 disc to a games shop that is able to recondition discs (depending how badly scratched it is, of course). If you want to try the burning route, then burn at 4x on branded CD-R media (TDK or verbatim work best) using imgburn.

4. tamorak

tamorak Member

I'm nearly certain it won't work. The way the "AP" on the PS1 and PS2 work is re-triggered whenever you open the disc tray. The only reason magic-gate (an example of Swapdisc) bypasses it on the PS2 is via a dummy disc that basically loads the disc information then then loads the game as if it were already part of the dummy disc. You're only options would be to either get your discs cleaned, find a new copy of FF8 (which, should be cheap enough now a days) or play it on an emulator.

5. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

If you want a new (well, "new") copy, someone on IRC was looking to sell one a couple of days ago.

6. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hm, but i wonder...you can use a paperclip to make the PS think its closed right? So what if i did that and swapped the disc?

7. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

it won´t work. I tryed it too with my FF8 copy. It froze on dic 3 cutscenes so i burned a copy, kept the cap open and swapped the dics. No luck

8. natnat886

natnat886 New Member

Really? Swapping discs doesn't work? That is, are we talking about swapping discs to play burned games?

It should work given that you burned the CDs correctly.

9. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

think of it like this. You take a cookie with choccolate and decide to eat it. But then you remember that it was John´s cookie. So you have to replace it. Bot instead of a choccolate cookie you take a strawberry one. You fail
    Get it?