1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pros and Cons of upgrading to DSi with card

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cockeye, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cockeye

Cockeye Member

I have a DS Lite at the moment with a load of ROMS on a DSTT card. It's been really good, but my nephew really likes it and enjoys playing against his sister who also has a DS Lite.

I am thinking about maybe upgrading to a DS Lite, but I cannot find any definitive guide so thought I would ask here.

1) Do the cards on a DSi work as well as they do on a DS Lite? (ie, are they as easy to use)
    2) Is there a risk in the future that Nintendo will force firmware updates that will make cards not work, or could you work without upgrading the firmware like on a PSP
    3) Is there any good UK suppliers of cards that will work with a DSi?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before I pass my DS Lite on to my nephew?

many thanks in advance.

2. king_leo

king_leo Well-Known Member

Re: Pros and Cons of upgrading to DS Lite with card

dont get an dsi right now ecause they suck right now

3. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

Your pros are that if and when Nintendo releases DSi specific games (games that will utilize the camera functions), you will be able to play them. Also, as soon as we get region-specific download-only titles, providing that they are capable of being successfully dumped, you will be able to play those, as well. In addition to being compatible with more games, you will also be able to access the Internet via wi-fi without having to use a slot-2 loader and the screens are slightly bigger.

The cons are that, while carts currently exist for the new DSi, there is always the looming possibility of Nintendo forcing through a firmware update that causes your cards to no longer function. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the hackers to right the ship again, but it could turn out to be a constant battle, maybe even eventually bricking your system and rendering it useless. You also lose the GBA slot. If you're into playing GBA games on your DS, you'll be out of luck on that front.

4. king_leo

and I dont want to lose my ezy flash so you suckers can buy won wellI wont

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I just kept my other ds's, the dsi is good if you play and buy ligitamatly, but using flash cards on them get's tricky...

I'd just gave my brother my ds lite so he can play the roms-he loves pokemon fire red even though we actually own leafgreen...

Maybe they might make a chip for the dsi so it would be like the wii-who knows...

6. Cockeye

Cockeye Member

Why does using flashcarts on them get tricky? This is exactly what I need to know.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It should be noted that ONLY DSi carts work on the DSi, existing DS flashcarts will not.

8. Cockeye

Cockeye Member

Winterreise - thank you for that useful post. I am assuming you work for acekard? Whatever, I was going for DSTT, but as you have been so helpful I have gone for Acekard 2i instead. I am hoping both the DSi and the card will arrive tomorrow. When they do, I understand there is already a firmware update. Is it safe to carry it out?

Thanks again!

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

No, he does not work for Acekard :p

10. Cockeye

Cockeye Member

It was the - check out our IRC channel that made me think he did. Sadly I have no idea what an IRC channel is. But whoever he is - I am very grateful to him :)

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

He means Romulation's IRC.

IRC = Internet Relay Chat.
    It's just a chat room where you can ask questions in real time or just talk with other Romulation users about stuff. It can be used for other stuff too, but Chat is the first and foremost use.

12. blahooza

blahooza New Member

dude what ever you do do not get a DSi at the moment because i just bought one and my flash carts (yes flash cart with and 's') do not work on it. I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. The only flash cart that I know that works is the Acekardi (hence the i) so u might as well wait and see if Nintendo does make a firmware upgrade, and if they don't theres your chance to get a DSi with Acekardi but beware the R4DS company are currently working on the new R4i. :) I hope this helped.

13. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Blahooza,

Everyone knew half a year ago when the Japanese DSi came out that the current DS flash carts didn't work with them. The Acekard2i has a good development team behind it, and it will remain better than the R4 clones.

14. Cockeye

Cockeye Member

Blahooza everyone knows the current DS cards dont and would never work with a DSi.

But I now have a DSi with an Acekard 2i and it is superb!

15. jazzasidari

jazzasidari Well-Known Member

Can u play ds roms on the dsi my brother wantd to get a dsi adn and acekard 2i
    thanks

16. Sacker

Sacker Well-Known Member

im using Blue DSi USA, with the current updates from Nintendo, and Im using Acekard 2i with 4.16, everything is working flawlessly since April 5th, 2009, and using cheat.db from 4-10-2009..

I havent found any games not working yet. Other than the usual protection scemes embedded into the game, but thats usually a firmware update in cheat's db or dyi cheat editor.

And DSI doesnt suck, it only sucks if you have DSLite already, as there isnt much upgrades other than larger capacity storage, directly from the SD slot and wifi upgrades, and new flash carts supporting SDHC 32 gigs, and No GBA slot, but thats the whole point of Nintendo's up and comming Virtual Consoles, I would think, though I can't confirm it, but it's visible thru Wii... such as the latest USA version of SNES of : Uncharted : New Horizon's as a prime example.

The Risks :

will get shut down like R4's. or Nintendo does DSI updates on Firmware to auto detect flashcarts, but since its by software, it can be easily undone vs if it screwed up the dsi hardwares. Only time remains so far for any Flash Carts working with DSI currently. It's a 50/50 gamble.

Ps. I have backward tested it on friends DSLite. Works as intended, as Acekard2 firmware is the same :eek:

btw.. there are no more real R4's, majority of them are cheap knock offs. Since Japan Government shut down R4s alot of fake have been sprouting up and dropped in pricing tremendously since the DSI releasal to Europe/USA. Again nothing wrong with fake R4s though the risks are just the same with any DSI FlashCarts... may get bricked in the future.

17. vincent_aik

vincent_aik Member

Does Acekard 2 support GBA ROMS?

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

No. It is not possible to play GBA roms on a slot 1 flashcart. You need a slot 2 flashcart to play GBA roms. This means DSi cannot play GBA roms at all, because it has no GBA slot.

19. king_leo

thats why im not buying one because i have a ezy flash

20. darksteel88

darksteel88 Member

You know, they could brick a system, but they won't. We already had this argument with the fake R4. It turns out that they do not have the authority to brick it, that is against some sort of legality or something. And not to mention that flash carts are indeed legal due to homebrew, it's just that 95% of people who own one have never tried using homebrew. At any rate, they can't brick it and they can't render it useless either (they'd have to be good to get it to block official DS games only), and I highly doubt it. People have been doing this since NES days, it's not going to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.