1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Problem With R4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gonic, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonic

Gonic Member

I got a new DS lite last month and when i tried my r4 in it, it didnt work but it works in his ds lite. I have also tried 2 other r4's in my ds which dont work either but work in other ds lites. Have nintendo made it so r4 cant work in the new ds lites? If so woul an M3 Real work in my new ds lite? Thanks in advance.

2. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

what happens when you put it in your ds.

do you get a blank screen?

does it freeze at loading?

please clarify.

3. barnee

barnee New Member

I have the same problem and I get the regular start up screen with clocks on top my DS lite is brand new the cards work fine in my older units did they do something to prevent the r4 from working in the new ds??

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Only if it's a DSi, otherwise there's nothing different with the old DS and DS Lites.

When it boots up normally, what does it show in your Game Slot? No card?

5. barnee

barnee New Member

Yes it shows no card!!! I have 2 older units that read the cards fine but this unit just got last week!!

6. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

It could be possible that your card is defected. R4s are highly unreliable these days. That could explain why your older ones work because they are much more reliable. Another problem could be one that i have been explaining over and over again to people. The flashcart has some hardware problems but they are easy to fix. Heres the fix.

This is a somewhat common problem. One thing you can try is what is known as "The Paper Trick":

To do the fix:
    1. Remove the small screw from the r4ds.
    2. Remove the back and remove the main chip.
    3. Tear a small piece of paper off of something and fold that piece but make sure its not very large (you just want the chip to sit a little bit higher).
    4. Put the piece of paper onto what is now the front-back side on the place where the contacts used to be sitting on the r4ds and put the chip on top of it, making sure its aligned to the front.
    5. Finally sit the back of the r4 on`top of it, snap it together and finally screw it back together.
    6. The contacts should now be bulging out just a little bit and they will now make better contact with the DS contacts and it should work.

If the problem you're actually having is an issue with the contacts on the R4 not being flush with those in the DS this should help

sorry I dont have pictures but surely you can find a video of this or I might even make one if I have time.

7. Gonic

Gonic Member

Thank you afrokid you have saved me from boredom =D

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

This tutorial has some pictures.
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10295.0

Sure, it's for the Supercard, but it is the same basic concept.

9. barnee

barnee New Member

Thanks for all the info!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.