1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Problem making iso's

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nahpishtim, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Nahpishtim

Nahpishtim Member

Okay so my actual PSX finally died last week and I been going through my games trying to make images of them to use with ePSXe 1.70. My problem is none of the iso's I make seem to work with it. Ones I downloaded here all work fine with it so I know my ePSXe was set up properly. I've tried using MagicISO v5.5.0281 and Alcohol 120% 2.0.0.1331 to make the images but none of them work. I'd prefer to make them actual .iso format but will be happy with anything that works. Is there something I'm doing wrong here or is there a better program for this?

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Try using ImgBurn.
    http://www.imgburn.com/

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

as far as i know, the PSX games have a specific type of disk formatting that is supported by very few disk drives....my best guess is have you tried to play the ISOS directly from the disk drive in the emulator? because if you can't, it is probably because of your disk drive.....

4. Nahpishtim

Nahpishtim Member

Not sure I fully understand what you mean Catz_102 >.> you mean like mounting the image and running it like an actual disc? If so no I haven't tried that. So does that mean my dvd drive won't be able to make a working iso?

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well...no...most PSX emulators have the option to boot from disk drive. so my recommendation is put the disk into your computer, then load epsxe then click File > boot from CDROM

if the game doesn't load, then your computers disk drive more than likely does not support the type of disk. i had to get an external disk drive.

6. meganova

There should be no difference when loading the game directly from CD, or from ISO.
    What matter are, the CD was in a good condition, without scratches, etc.(if you're going to play it directly from CD)
    and have a good ISO file if you're going to play it without CD.

Try making an ISO file using the software I had posted earlier.

7. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

well if his disk drive doesn't support the disk, it won't make a proper ISO file.....

8. Nahpishtim

Nahpishtim Member

Okay imgburn seems to have worked meganova thanks ^^ but for whatever reason tells me it can't make iso's out of my discs have to make .bin files instead. Is there something with PSX discs that .iso isn't a good format for them?

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

No, the disc are just normal cd's in the black colour.

Strange, might just be the way the games are...

It's best to do as it says or else you'd loose some sound quality.

10. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

.bin files will work just fine on a PSX emulator and are just another type of image file....

11. meganova

PSX games need at least CD-ROM to run with, since he own DVD-ROM, there should be no problem to run or make a cd image from the cd.
    Unless the CD(or the disc driver) itself have problem then the disc driver won't be able to read the CD, or make any image from it.

I'm pretty sure you can set which image type the program should make when you select the destination file,
    but like Catz had said before, you shouldn't have problem with it, since ePSXe support up to six type of image file, including .bin file.

12. McNutty

McNutty Member

If my computer can't read .str files would that mean my disc drive sucks???