1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Problem Extracting Files (using WinRAR)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by four44, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. four44

four44 Member

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I've never posted on here before. I hope someone can help me, though.

Lately, when I've tried extracting (using WinRAR) everything I've downloaded from this site has given me an error message. Specifically one that says -

"Unexpected end of archive"

or sometimes -

"The file is corrupt"

I've tried many different downloads and they all give me the same message, which seems a little weird to me. I don't know what it could be. Last night I got one to work after close to an hour of just messing with it, repairing the file over and over again, but I can't remember what exactly I did and I did so many things that there's no way I can figure it out again.

Have any of you ever encountered this problem? What did you do to fix it?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

make sure your winrar is up to date and try using a download manager.

3. four44

four44 Member

I am using a download manager and the latest version of WinRAR :(

I also tried it on another computer, and it did the same thing. Lately my wireless internet has been having troubles on both computers, that's the only thing I can think of that connects them. Do you think it could be related?

4. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

have you tried using a different extracter like 7-zip

(sorry i don't use winRAR so i wouldn't know)

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Many times when someone says they are using the latest version, they are wrong.

What version (The actual version number) of Winrar are you using? Rather than "I'm using the Latest" you should say what version you are using, that way people can point you to a more up to date version if you are in fact using an older version.

Also, what download manager are you using?

6. four44

four44 Member

I have WinRAR 3.80

If there is a newer version, I can't find it anywhere, and a link would be appreciated.

And I'm just using the default download manager for my computer (I have Windows XP).

7. TirithRR

Wireless connections can be problematic.

But a good Download Manager should solve that. Are you resuming the download after it fails?

Edit:
    The "Default Download Manager" is not a download manager, it just downloads. If the download fails it will assume its finished and give you an incomplete download.

You need a download manager, like FlashGet.

8. four44

four44 Member

That's the thing - it isn't saying the download is failing, although it's taking a VERY long time to download.

I've downloaded and extracted plenty of files from this site before, and it usually just takes a minute to download. I'm getting really frustrated just because I've done this so many times, and aside from the messy wireless connection lately, I can't think of anything else that would cause this sudden change.

edit: Oops :p Well, I'll give flashget a try and see if that makes a difference...

9. TirithRR

It doesn't say the download failed. That's why not using a Download Manager sucks :) You can't tell if it finished or failed.

A download manager will allow you to resume the download from the point it failed.

10. four44

four44 Member

OMG! It worked! I don't know why Flashget made the difference, but the file extracted on the first try. Thank you so much for your help and patience :)

11. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

would using a different browser work also? (doesn't firefox let you resume aswell)

12. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes, but only for files that allow you to, and it's still not the best way to resume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.