1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Prevention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monter, Sep 16, 2008.

1. monter

monter Guest

Alright now I need help. How do you prevent someone from saving a picture off you website.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Do you mean like the person right clicking and saving to file?

or do you mean they post the picture (using your link address) somewhere else and they don't host it on an image hosting site like photobucket.

3. Void

Void Well-Known Member

You can disable right clicking but anyone with any computer intelligence at all can still obtain an image from it anyways. If you really want to be crabby about images, display them in FLV or something.

4. -a55-

-a55- Well-Known Member

yeah displaying them in FLV should work, it always works to annoy me.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's absolutely 100% percent impossible. In order for the browser to display the image it must download it it, that means that no matter what, just by displaying it, it will be downloaded; but it's easier than that, you don't even have to wade through your temporary files or go to functions>page information and click save as there. Simply left click the image and drag 'n drop it to the URL bar, èt voilà.

Really, you're wasting your time, even a .flv file can have the image extracted, or if a user is a bit less tech savvy can do a print screen into paint and then save as.

6. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Seph, I seriously learn something new from you everyday.

And yes, I've done the print screen technique.

7. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

as said its pretty much impossible, the only real way is to watermark your image, but even then it looks ugly and ive photoshopped out watermarks before.

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Awesome Almo. There is a thing you can code to prevent people from accessing the right click menu on your webpages, but they still can access from the other browser menus at the top :p

9. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

With firefox, I usually right click -> View Page Info -> Media to get at embedded files. Works every time I try to download an image/ flash game/ mp3 embedded in the page :p
    So, yeah, it's pretty much useless to try and block people from saving your images. Your best bet is to watermark, though even that can be circumvented.