1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Political Lyrics and Poems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Void, May 30, 2009.

1. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I'm looking for modern songs with political lyrics. Poems of similar nature also qualify here. I'm looking more for the words than the songs, anyway. They don't necessarily have to be the most brilliant lyrics, but I'm looking for stuff with some decent sense. So don't link me to any Anti-Flag. Actually, best to avoid punk altogether. I've found myself listening to songs with more abstract or insignificant lyrics and would like to immerse myself in music with more contemporary lyrics. So, show me your best moves~ ^_^_^_^_^

I'm quite fond of these lyrics. The perspective is, of course, a government -- we can assume the US government; more specifically, the Bush administration. The song focuses a lot on the fear mongering and ignorance that governments enforce. The song is "Pet" by A Perfect Circle. The album containing "Pet" was released in 2003, and the song was re-innovated for A Perfect Circle's next album in 2004, eMOTIVe. eMOTIVe (a political album itself) is a cover-album, and A Perfect Circle re-interpreted their own song with the follow-up, "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums" which sounds a lot more scary, less melodic, and more barbarically rhythmic.

So, what kind of political lyrics or poems do you guys have to share? "FUCK BUSH FUCK BUSH" is not encouraged, but post as you please~.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

What about Rage Against The Machine?

3. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Ah, yes I'm familiar with them. I'm open to most genres of music, but I find them mostly unlistenable. They kind of fall into the dumb-political category with Anti-Flag if I'm not mistaken. Plus they protest by standing naked on stage and shit and I can't really perceive that as being intelligent at all. But it's still probably a better place to start than most. I'll look into more of their stuff, thanks.

4. CoryBelmont

CoryBelmont Member

I like dragonball z,
    it's poetic :)

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Okay. And yes, it's probably worse than their whole "playing live performances while wearing bags over their heads" charade :p

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

'prophets of war' by Dream Theater is anti-iraq war and questions the motives for it, which could fall into the political category.

White Lion also wrote a number of anti-war songs (Vietnam war primarily). It really depends how you want to define political. Something along the lines of 'george bush is a dumbass', for example would be almost definitely political, whereas protest songs such as prophets of war could be political or non-political depending on how you define it.

continuing the anti-war theme, try 'I won't let the sun go down on me' by Nik Kershaw. That one relates to the cold war.