1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokewalker does not work with ROM *sadface*

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by freeshooterxiggy, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Already tried doing this multiple times, the obvious answer is obvious, no actual cartridge means no IR port. I'll just have to use my sister's game for it >_>

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It would seem so. It says it goes by IR Port, and shows them pointing it at the game cartridge in the back.
    http://www.qj.net/qjnet/nintendo-ds/nintendo-to-bundle-pedometer-with-pokemon-heart-gold-and-soul-silver.html

I don't know about the DS Lite or DSi, but I don't see a built in IR port on my DS Phat.

3. I have a DSi and it still doesn't work, was to be expected but least now people know. =S

4. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

kazowar.pbworks.com

Bobykid says the (J) rom works.

5. XeNo - A.K.A Steelez

XeNo - A.K.A Steelez Well-Known Member

The IR port is built into the game cart so it is impossible to use the Pokewalker with a ROM.

6. fatelord

fatelord New Member

its impossible to use pokewalker with just the rom. The IR is just on the original cartridge. But, instead, you or one of your friends can buy an original one, trade pokemons from the rom to the original cartridge, and then pass to the pokewalker. Only way i thought until now. Maybe some models of notebooks or even cellphones with ir port will be able to "hack" into the pokewalk

7. YCobb

YCobb Active Member

While this is kinda unfortunate for us, you have to admit, that's a neat way to do it on Nintendo's part.

8. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Oh, well, the Pokéwalker is very small and easy to lose anyway, I'm sure I would have lost it within a week to a month of having it ;D

It's okay though, we don't really need it. The game is playable without it, it'll just take longer to earn EXP and your Pokémon won't be as friendly, but who cares, really?

What I'd like to know, however, is this:
    Does the freezing/black screen stuff go away after you beat the first Gym leader (Violet City)?
    Because I tried the Jap ROM, and while it works, having your name looking like it's being yelled all the time (not the same font) and not being able to name your Pokémon what you want to unless it's in Japanese (the translation files don't add more spaces for names, unfortunately) just doesn't cut it.

9. MikeHoncho16

MikeHoncho16 Well-Known Member

wow, i seriously am surprised this topic wasnt locked immediately, since this has been discussed SO MANY TIMES!

10. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

I am surprised that people still believes in that old legend that says that that thing make you lvl faster.

Live with it guys, 1 exp each step is nothing compared to th endgame pokemons that give from 500~1000 each battle.

its like giving your pokemon to the DayCare Lady and expect it to reach lvl 99.

NINJA EDIT: small mistake, wrote digimon instead of pokemon >.>

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

this is pokemon, not digimon. Also, I used to regularly walk a couple of miles a day. So its actually quite significant.

12. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

1 exp per step is pretty much a regulation, since you are to lazy to friggin train them by normal methods. It does help when you are NOT playing Pokemon so when you are walking around doing something else. If you have a life anyways, this is very useful if you are not plugged in to something every day. ERGO no one should be complaining as it is useful for those with a life. Having a life has it's advantages.

My brother's younger friend brought this PokeWalker whenever they are running at school during PE, so they run for 15 minutes, walk the rest of the day, and at the after school program he returned the Pokemon back to the DS gaining about 2 levels a day per Pokemon in the PokeWalker. there are three Pokemon in one, so around 6 levels a day.

13. inuyasha6269

inuyasha6269 Guest

The Pokewalker dosent work for ROMs because the HG/SS game has a wireless thingy that lets it connect to the Pokewalker

14. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

For people that have mentioned that fact that the Pokewalker allows you to gain levels faster, this is true. But it also makes your Pokemon weaker than normal training. As you don't recieve EV points like you usually would after defeating a real Pokemon. The same goes for the Day care centre and using Rare candies. They all may level your Pokemon faster, but it also means you'll have a massive disadvantage against other similar leveled Pokemon who have actually REALLY trained their Pokemon.

Another thing about the Pokewalker is that it's just more than a level up machine. It's a brilliant device that allows you to catch a massive amount of Pokemon that you would never had been able to catch so early in the game. I was able to catch Pokemon like Magby, Kangaskhan, Magnemite and Staryu all before the second badge. If there was one thing I hated about Diamond/Pearl was its lack of choice you got when building a team during the story mode, that's no longer the case in HeartGold/SoulSilver, as the Pokewalker allows you to catch so many great Pokemon you'd never normally be able to catch so soon in the game.