1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Platinum OU RMT

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by AKOMISMO123, May 24, 2010.

1. AKOMISMO123

AKOMISMO123 Well-Known Member

I don't now if this is allowed, but I need professional help.

I got interested in Competitive play and wondering if someone can Rate My Team:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Jolly
    EV: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Taunt
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    EV: 232 ATk/ 24 SPA/ 252 SPE
    Moves:
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Roost

Scizor @ Choice Band
    EV: 248 HP/ 252 ATK/ 8 SPE
    Moves:
    U- Turn
    Bullet Punch
    Superpower
    Pursuit

Lucario @ Life Orb
    EV: 252 ATK/ 4 DEF/ 252 SPE
    Moves:
    Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    ExtremeSpeed
    Stone Edge

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    EV: 136HP/ 156 DEF/ 216 SPE
    Moves:
    Rapid Spin
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

The last slot is what I need help for... and also to rate my team.

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Salamence should probably have Fire Blast over Roost, by the logic that if you've got the opportunity to Roost, it's better for you to DD and begin a sweep. Besides, Bronzong and Skarmory will wall you otherwise, with Bronzong Exploding or Skarmory using Whirlwind to phaze your boosts. It also puts those SpA EVs to some use. Another option is to respec Salamence as a bulky DDMence to give yourself some staying power.

Lucario could do with Ice Punch over Stone Edge to rid yourself of Gliscor and Aerodactyl, two of Lucario's biggest threats, as well as messing up most dragons.

This is just a personal preference, but Starmie could drop Rapid Spin for Ice Beam, adjust its EVs for a more offensive setup, and run as a pure offensive beast, also giving you coverage over Dragons.

Your last slot is probably best off with a Timid Heatran @ Life Orb with:
    4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Electric
    - Will-O-Wisp/Substitute/Explosion

Heatran covers Scizor's weakness perfectly and is a massive threat on its own. It carries Fire Blast and Earth Power to threaten other Steel-types and opposing Heatran, respectively. HP Electric is on this set to pose a threat to bulky waters which will switch in on Heatran and which your team has difficulty dealing with otherwise (Milotic, Gyarados and the like), as well as Dragons which may be a problem due to your lack of Ice moves. The last move is up for debate, but the standard choice for this set would be Explosion, since with Life Orb you'll be worn down over time and with it you can break one more wall.

Overall, your team is okay. Only okay. You don't have any defensive pokemon except Starmie (which is fragile). All-out offense may sometimes work, but without something to absorb the hits you may run out of steam and let yourself get worn down over time.

3. AKOMISMO123

I think i need the Rapid Spin for removing entry hazards that can easily reduced my salamence and kill it without even being able to sweep.

Another question... can Heatran breed?

and lastly can you suggest a defensive pokemon that can help my team?

4. Suiseiseki

Well, whatever works for you. I run teams that don't tend to take much damage from rocks, so I never really take a spinner. I'm unsure on the Heatran breeding thing. As for a defensive pokemon, I'm thinking perhaps a Swampert or a Bronzong or suchlike. To be honest, it just looks like you've taken five offensive threats from Smogon and slapped them together without considering synergy, non-standard EV spreads and shared weaknesses.

5. AKOMISMO123

Could you maybe give advice on what pokemon to change or remove/add from/to this team?

6. Suiseiseki

Not without knowing what you're trying to achieve. My advice would be to make a list of the more common OU threats and figuring out how to handle them, making changes based on your weaknesses. For example, my sandstorm team may have a bulky water weakness. Ths is dealt with by my Rotom/Gengar Tricking a Choice Scarf onto said threat and/or Thunderbolting for the KO. That sort of thing. Try to make sure you've got sufficient coverage and an overall plan for your team - taking an old SS team for example, the strategy is to use my wall breakers and Bronzong to open up the opponent's team for a sweep, either from my Flygon or my Heatran.