1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Ability: Which is better?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by DrPac-Man, Apr 13, 2010.

1. DrPac-Man

DrPac-Man Active Member

I'm currently playing Heartgold and encountered a wild Growlithe and want to raise it and catch it. I'm wondering which ability is better for Growlithe: Flash Fire or Intimidate?

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Intimidate, probably. Flash Fire is only really useful in competitive play, since you're more likely to run into Fire-type moves consistently there than in the single player.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Intimidate cuts your opponent's attack, by how much?

4. Maulic

Maulic Member

By 1 stage, so its like a growl that has an effect in the start of the match

5. Suiseiseki

By about 25%, give or take.

6. totallydood

totallydood Guest

its 1/6 or around 17%

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I do have to say that I used FlashFire on Blaine's entire gym. Since he doesn't bother packing ground moves or grass moves like competitive battling does, this proved to be useful since he was limited to whatever the pokemon's normal movepool was, which is basically normal type attacks.

Also, getting a FlashFire boost on his incoming flamethrower on the switch was great. His pokemon don't have FlashFire so proceed to get a Flare Blitz or Flamethrower in and still hit for great damage. FlashFire is great for nullifying and preventing fire types from coming in. I see something using Flamethrower? I send in Arcanine and all of a sudden the Flamethrowers stop.

8. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

It's 44% reduction by 1 stage. Link: http://www.serebii.net/games/damage.shtml

Just like everyone say... I will just give an addition. It usually depends on your personal preference and strat overall. If your Growlithe is built offensively then a damage reduction is recommended. Otherwise, if built to counter or revenge kill then a flash fire is good but then again flash fire is also used for offensive if hit by a fire-type but situational. Really depends on you actually. Go which one you like.

Off topic: From my link does that include accuracy down? 44% is big deal if you ask me. ?:|

9. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

this links sounds more accurate http://www.psypokes.com/lab/stats.php (centre tables)

seems about right.

10. darky000

I see. thanks for that info. I was actually trying to build accuracy down team just for the heck of it. :p

11. Suiseiseki

actually 33% if you do the math, so you're doing only two thirds damage from physicals after one intimidate

also it is more versatile

12. darky000

right! haha... just pawned myself. =P

13. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Intimidate proved more usefull then i thought o_O

14. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

It always felt as usefull as that i'd say.