1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokémon - The 5th Gen Starters

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by that3d-trapezoid, Sep 28, 2010.

1. that3d-trapezoid

that3d-trapezoid Well-Known Member

So, the 5th generation games have been out in Japan for a week (or two) now, and we've got an idea of the new things that came with it.
    One of those things are... The starters. And all of them seem to suck tornado turd.
    In comparison to all the other generations, let's see...

--------------------
    1st Gen's Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise: Well... they all suck too but they're the original starters, so let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

2nd Gen's Meganium, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr: Ahh, the generics... Probably the worst set of starters.

3rd Gen's Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert: Okay, this one was pretty nice. We got the bulky Swampert which only has one weakness, and the mixed Blaziken, the first Fire/Fighting type pokémon. Not a good type combo, but the blazing chicken was the first.

4th Gen's Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon: Debateably the best set of starters, with all of them having rare type combinations (two of them unique). Plus, we got the unpredictable powerhouse Infernape, another Fire/Fighting pokémon but much better than Blaziken. And Empoleon, a pretty good pokémon in itself.
    --------------------

Now we're on the 5th generation...
    We get ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter which fails in comparison to Blaziken and Infernape and has the same major problems that Camerupts have always had -- Good offensive, pathetic defenses and speed.
    We get a GENERIC WATER TYPE with low base speed and average defenses. God...
    AND we get Grass-type only that seems like a Sceptile rehash -- though this one seems to be the best of this starter set because of its move pool.

Okay, so that's my opinion regarding the starters of the past generation's starters and also for today's generation's starters.
    Anybody else share this same opinion?

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I pretty much agree with you, I find the first starters memorable, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Imo, I wish pokemon had more unique type combos.

3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I'll just hack in 6 charizards so that's cool

4. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

For 5th Gen, the Grass one is cool. The other two are just meh.

5. dblood

dblood Well-Known Member

i think the water final evolution looks cool the grass just a snake XD

6. Killua Zaoldyeck

Killua Zaoldyeck Well-Known Member

the best one is the grass,,, i really don't like fire pig in orange with a cute face,,, fire type should at least has some fierce face like charizard or blaziken,,,,

it's kinda weird though, i always play fire starter for first (except for ruby-saphire-emerald, marshtomp is the best),,, and now i have to play with grass type for starter,,,,

the best combo is marshtomp, water/ground with only one weakness is grass,,,

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Well-Known Member

Fire = Chinese

Grass = American

Water = Japanese

Says Ken Sugimori based on the Character Designs... :eek:

8. p4tman

p4tman Guest

It doesn't really matter most of them will get scrapped for better Pokemon later in the game.

Also including all the new abilities, move pools, WEATHER EFFECTS, can make the 5th gen starters alright depending on how they're used.

9. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Charlizard is the BEST!!! ;D

[​IMG]

10. koolenergy

koolenergy Well-Known Member

yeah its the most fierce looking Starter what only sucks about him is he's move pool and not very much were added during the 5th gen though i find Typhlosion cool except he's the starter with the worst Move sets >.<

11. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Jarooda is fucking terrible in terms of gameplay. His base stats are average with no real area of excellence other than Speed. He'll be a decent supporter in Double/Triple battles but as it stands I'd much prefer one of the other two. That said, if Perversity (his Dream World ability) works the way it's been speculated then it could be interesting to fire off Leaf Storms that steadily gain power.

12. that3d-trapezoid

that3d-trapezoid Well-Known Member

Well, when I said I think Jarooda's the best of the 5th gen starters, that doesn't necessarily mean he's "good" overall.
    They all suck. Ugh... Luckily, I'm satisfied with animated sprites. Keeps me in the game.

13. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I haven't had enough experience with the other two to agree or disagree on the competitive viability of the entire starter set.

14. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Mijumaru/Wotter ftw.

I'm not liking Pokabu, and Tsutarja/Smugleaf is just too overliked.

[​IMG]

15. kosta032

kosta032 Well-Known Member

16. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

17. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

i really liked the grass starter, i never raised any grass starters before and i like its speed & appearance. i really thought the water starter has some kind of ice type, i was expecting a different combination rather than the 3rd fire/fighting type starter

18. gr8 1

gr8 1 Well-Known Member

i like grass starters too cause i remember in the 1st Gen bulbasaur had a quicker EXP gain than the other 2 and u could beat the 1st and 2nd gyms no sweat i picked the fire starter cause it's cute and underestimated

19. anugrah

anugrah Member

for me charizard and infernape are the best starters with gen 5 starters r ok ok

20. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Which starter makes the game more difficult?