1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PMD2 discovery...

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by treec_cynda, Aug 18, 2010.

1. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

...of glitch Pokemon!

I recently dug out an old Action Replay DS and tested it out on my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of
    Darkness. I used a code that would turn your partner into Pokemon that were adjacent to it in the Pokedex. So I tried turning my Bulbasaur into an Arceus, hoping that it was a complete circle. Turns out...there's placeholder data in the Pokedex slot before Bulbasaur and after Arceus! At the time, I had successfully turned myself into a Ho-oh.
    If you try it with Bulbasaur it will turn out like this:

Summary page 3:

Type: Normal
    Ability: Overgrow

Summary page 4:

Species: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?(-)
    Joined at: ? ? ?*
    Category: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Pokemon
    Size: *

*Actually, my game said Beach but I don't know the circumstances around this.

I think it's the return of the question-mark-in-a-circle from Pokemon RSE.

By the way, when I went to the next floor, my partner was gone. Now he just has no picture for when he talks.

UPDATE: In my game, there were no spaces between the question marks. I put them there to stop Romulation from putting faces where question marks should be.

2. AstroGod

AstroGod Well-Known Member

Yeah, its Missing NO. He is number 0, thats why he is called MissingNo.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

No.
    MissingNo. is a glitch in the first games. MissingNo. was not meant to exist even at number 0.

4. AstroGod

then why is he before bulbasaur but after arceus? I've researched this guy and his is Pokedex #000 it even said in Pokemon Emerald

5. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

MissingNo. is in no legit Pokedex. He is literally Missing Number and is nothing but a glitch. You had to be careful in the original games, as doing the wrong thing in a battle against him (very specific way to encounter) could completely corrupt your game.

6. Stanley Richards

The game can't recognize your Pokemon, since you technically don't have one.
    So it uses the test subject, MissingNo.
    #000, or #172 in Yellow.

7. LuckyTrouble77

If you caught MissingNo. in the first games, he would just turn into a random Pokemon. Catching him was a big risk to your game, but it was fun to see the level 146 MissingNo. turn into a level 100 Machop or something.

8. Stanley Richards

And funky stuff would happen if you traded MissingNo into yellow, which was "unhackable"

9. AstroGod

Exactly!
    He turned into a ditto for me lol :)

10. Stanley Richards

I feel like the creators purposely made MissingNo a question mark in the 3rd gen games onwards, since it's merely a debug Pokemon, It shouldn't have any form of sprite

11. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Missingno existed in FIRST GENERATION ONLY. ?????????? from R/S/E/FR/LG, ? from R/S/E/FR/LG, and DPBox from D/P/Pt are NOT FORMS OF MISSINGNO.

Just to clear that up.

12. LuckyTrouble77

The ? is a form of MissingNo. It's still the exact same thing just displayed differently. Neither are truly meant to exist, and they can both have very negative effects. They are also both technically number 000.

13. Stanley Richards

Which I think is odd that they put the ? on it.
    That means giving it a sprite which means giving it more significance

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

or, the question, could just be used as a place holder for anything that doesn't actually exist in a battle...

15. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I don't think that sprite was made for missingno. It's probably just a general all around missing picture sprite or something.

16. Stanley Richards

I read on a hacking forum that some guy ripped the sprites and that sprite was only used for a debug program known as MissingNo,.

17. AstroGod

MissingNo forced red to commit suicide in HGSS after you beat him :eek:

Red commits suicide after you beat him, every time you beat the Elite Four to fight him again is just a memory. That's why Lance always says "Its been a long time since I last been here." Even though it was only a couple hours ago.

18. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Uh-uh. ?'s sprite is a beta for the "unknown Pokemon" sprite in the R/S Pokedex. They have that much in common, but are totally different.

Again, it's NOT Missingno.

LOL! Isn't this a reference to the remakes of the original games in which Missingno actually appeared?