1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Playing ROMs on DSi. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wants2getaDSi, Mar 15, 2011.

1. wants2getaDSi

wants2getaDSi New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this awesome forum and I'm also new to nintendo handhelds. I'm seriously thinking of getting a nintendo DSi soon, but I would like to know if and how easy it is to be able to play ROMs I downloaded off the internet since I saw on it's review that the DSi had an SD card slot.
    I used to own a PSP phat some time ago before I gave it out. I remember I could play games from my SD memory cards after doing the modding and installing the custom firmware by DarkAlex. Is it the same for the DSi? What do I need to play ROMs on it?
    I intend to buy a few games along with the DSi, but I don't plan on buying cartridges every time.
    Lastly, I'm not so computer-savvy, so please any help in simple understandable words would be highly appreciated.
    I really really hope someone replies soon.
    THANKS A LOT! :)

2. Tanuken

Tanuken Well-Known Member

ZOMG! Yes you can.

3. MichaRulez

MichaRulez Well-Known Member

Sure you want to buy a DSi instead of a 3DS? 3DS will come soon... well ok back to topic

Of course you can. If you have a DS than you can buy a "card" for 10$ - 20$ . There are a few "SUPERcard, Acekart, R4i" just google and you will see what I mean. In that "card" you can put a microSD Card with the games on it. When you start your DS than, than it will start the programm of your card and you can choose the games you want to play, which you have putted on your SDCard. I have experience with PSP too, the games there have 1GB or higher. On DS it's a bit easier, there are games with 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB and I think max was 256 MB

4. wants2getaDSi

wants2getaDSi New Member

Thanks lots, MichaRulez. Yes! I've seen the R4i card mentioned on many sites after googling it. I'll ask at the local games shop if I can get it (I don't live in the US, so it might not be possible ordering online.)
    Indeed I would LOVE to rather wait for the nintendo 3DS to launch in Europe to buy it. But I already own a PS3 and don't want anymore consoles (even a handheld. LOL). The major reason I want to buy the DSi is to be able to play some of my favourite past-time nintendo exclusives that I grew up on , e.g Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Mega man, Metroid etc. And in the local game shop they highly reduced the price of the DSi maybe in anticipation of the 3DS. I wanna seize the opportunity to get the DSi now.
    Again, thanks lots. I will read more about the "supercard".

5. jadster 1996

jadster 1996 Well-Known Member

To be honest I wouldn't advise you to get a card from the R4i family,most have low compatibility(their software is outdated and doesn't allow you to play the newer games)save for a few cards and it isn't worth the risk.Get a SupercardDSTWO instead,it has excellent compatibility and it allows you to play GBA and SNES games at a decent speed,something that most other cards cannot do.It's a bit expensive but worth it,and it should work on all DSis.If you're low on cash get an Acekard 2i instead,which has excellent compatibility but lacks the extra features of the supercard.

6. VegaNovus

VegaNovus Member

If you are going to get a DSi, I suggest you get this lovely piece of kit > http://www.m3adapter.com/SLOT-1_Series_M3i-Zero.htm

M3i Zero, works 100% on up to date DSi firmware and can be updated VERY easily.

I would HIGHLY recommend an M3i Zero