1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Playing KH Re Coded

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Lephantome92, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

For anyone who's finished it: are there enough flashbacks in Re Coded that it'd spoil the first 2? One of my friends upgraded his PS a while ago, but still has the old, so he said that if I wanted to, I could borrow it and the first 2 KH's. Should I play them first, then Re Coded?

2. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

It isn't required to understand the story, but it will add a lot of extra depth to the game.
    So, yeah; I would recommend playing them before this (they're fantastic games too).

Enjoy

3. Lephantome92

I don't mean are they needed to "get" the story, what I mean is, I read online there are too many flashbacks in II to play it before I, so I was wondering if there are too many flashbacks in Re Coded that it'd ruin those 2

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole story of Coded going back through Jiminy Cricket's journal he kept for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and re-gathering the data which was corrupted/lost?

If you are looking to play the first two (main) Kingdom Hearts games and do not want to have the story revealed to you prior to playing them, then you will want to hold off on Re:Coded.

5. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

The story of Coded is that Jiminy's first journal (his written account of the entirety of KH1) was erased in Chain of Memories, and they get some computer-like device to decode the data and get it back to understand mysterious appearing messages.... But there are bugs in the data of the journal and they recruit Data Sora / Virtual Sora to fix them.

From what I played, it can be played separately from the other KH games... EXCEPT... In the opening/opening cutscene there are a few scenes from KH2..... Nothing MAJORLY spoiler, actually.

6. sonicfanboy

sonicfanboy Well-Known Member

i only have kh1 cus i lent my copy of kh2 and it got scratched to buggery so i couldn't get past the mulan world :(

7. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

I never thought entertaining technical problems would make this thread popular.

Anyway, I haven't played KH1 and KH2 and I didn't understand the intro of the game at all until someone pointed me to the right direction. A few flashbacks on what happened would have kept me interested at the beginning, nothing major spoiler. I guess it's time for me to play those two.

8. sonicfanboy

sonicfanboy Well-Known Member

well it kinda said what happened in 1 and 2

9. Lephantome92

Well, I'm also playing Zelda: Windwaker right now, so once I finish that, I'll ask my friend about his PS(2?) and do the originals.
    Also, is it recommended at all that I play Chain of Memories? I have the expansion pack, so I could if recommended.

10. TirithRR

In order to understand the storyline, it is not necessary. Kingdom Hearts 2 covers the gist of what happened in Chain of Memories. And the opening FMV of KH2 is pretty much CoM without all the text.

11. darky000

Really? I only played until the first world with wakka. I already started playing KH2 yesterday because I don't want any more mysteries until I get those flashbacks just playing the game.

12. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Actually, KH2 has a lot of KH1 spoilers. From what I've seen, it even has a spoiler for KH1's end boss... And other things.

13. darky000

I read that part from Tirith or Looney who said the same thing as you so i'm aware of it. It's fine by me with all the spoilers though.

14. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Nah, they said that it covered CoM.

But the beginning of the game additionally covers the entirety of KH1.

15. TirithRR

I think this user had created a topic before about playing KH2 without playing KH1. In that topic I had mentioned that KH2 covered pretty heavily the events happening in KH1. That's probably what he was referring to.

16. darky000

^ So it was you, TirithRR. Yup just like you said. :)

If there's a heavy spoiler I don't want to bother playing KH1 with the same details that I needed to know. Unless someone can point a couple of important events that should be considered.

17. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Well, the final battle is epic.... And you get little things called Ansem's Report that tells you more stuff.... And you get the exact details as to why everything ended up as it did, instead of the summarized accounts of it all..

18. Lephantome92

Nope, never made that. I just am asking if ReCoded ruins the others, cuz it's revisiting Jimminy Cricket's journal of the first one.

19. darky000

Yeah, I think it's similar to KH: 358/2 with the secret reports. Hmm... I'll cheat the reports then. :D