1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Play GBA on iTouch, iPhone, and iPad (Jailbreak + gpSPhone)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by mikeac, May 5, 2010.

1. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

To start out, you need to have a jailbroken device first. This is (mostly) for educational purposes only, as it contains piracy (but who cares, you're on freaking RomUlation! :D).

Note: This guide does not work for the AppleTV. ;)

Find a less outdated Jailbreak, I'm not active anymore.
    Greenpois0n Jailbreak for 4.2.1
    If you have an older firmware, let me know and I'll help you out.

Okay, now to get gpSPhone. gpsSPhone is a port of gpSP, a PSP GBA emulator. gpSPhone has slightly limited features than gpSP, has zoom and cheat compatibility, but is slower with sound lag in the beginning, and not all games are compatibile. If you want to use a proper save, you need to use VBA to export a 128kb battery file. If that does not work, download this: http://filetrip.net/f1212-Multi-Save-Converter-Renamer-0-2.html

1) Open Cydia and add this repo, (Manage>Sources>Edit>Add) http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/. It is totally useless if you click it, but you need to be able to access it from Cydia. SinFuliPhone hosts cracked Cydia apps (ie. illegal)
    2) Search 'gpSPhone Cracked' on Cydia. click on it, and install it, along with all the other packages it requires. Reboot/respring your device.
    3) Now gpSPhone is on your spingboard! If not, reboot a few times, or reinstall it through Cydia.
    4) Now you need to add games. Grab a couple off RomUlation. OR you can add a GBA Rom repo and just download them from Cydia. If you download them from Cydia, go to step 9.
    5) Download and install iFunBox.
    6) Plug in your iDevice, cancel all syncs, close out of iTunes, etc. and start up iFunBox. Let detect the iDevice.
    7) Go to var/mobile/media/roms/GBA. Make sure that there is a gba_bios.bin file there. Add your roms there. If you have saves, make sure they are in .sav or .svs file format, same name as the rom, and are in 128kb size.
    [nobbc]8)[/nobbc] Wait for it to copy, then unplug your device.
    9) Go to gpSPhone, and select your ROM from the list and play it. Wait for the sound lag to stop (if there is any), and start the game. Test it out for a while first, the sound lags for about ten seconds on many games.

Games with large cartridge sizes (18MB plus trimmed) don't run too well, so use more powerful emulators, like gpSP, a NDS slot-2 solution, no$GBA, and VBA. Note that the iDevices don't have as much hardware power as the PSP, DS, or computer, and is for light gaming. If you have a newer device it should run faster.

EDIT: Update for newer jailbreaks.

2. EMIN3M

EMIN3M Member

thanks you for this tutorial

3. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

No problem. :)

4. Boyav

Boyav Well-Known Member

it doesn't exist anymore ???

5. vanch

vanch New Member

Thanks man!!^simple and nice tuto ^^

6. Thomasss95

Thomasss95 New Member

Is this still up to date??
    Or do I need other jailbreak or something??

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

After almost a year, you'll want to go see if you can find newer files.

8. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

I've updated over the year, the only thing that changes is the jailbreak.

9. opunium

opunium Member

Does this still work? I did everything and it works untill I want to start the rom, it says about that it must be an authentic one and exactly 16384 kb big, but it is exactly 16384 kb big! And need some md5sum? Help please! Thanks.