1. This forum is in read-only mode.

phpBB, Vbulletin, IPBoard, PunBB?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by chibis, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chibis

chibis New Member

Why don't you guys use one of those for the forums instead of this piece of crap one I've never heard of...?

2. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

Well according to the boss, we will be changing soon but i think we use this one because it's the most stable. It's a little old now though. I think we are converting to VBulletin soon though.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

SMF is very good (being free). RomUlation has plans of switching to vBulletin soon though yes. Also, phpBB wouldn't be much better mang.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Your thorough reasoning really blasts me off my feat, there is truly nothing I can do to counter your awesome powers of reasoning and logic. Furthermore your dislike of the forum is obviously not based on the unknown making you feel inadequate since you have to learn new things.

So thank you for this constructive feedback, I'm now going to revalidate all our decisions on the software we use and pick one of these forums you know about.

5. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

And you are..?

6. googolplex1234

googolplex1234 Well-Known Member

SMF is better that the "big" forums in my opinion.

How many times have you ever seen or heard of an SMF forum hacked?
    Never?

Now, how many times with IPB/VBul/phpBB?
    Many times?

Seriously, just go to Youtube and type in "How to hack IPB (Vbul, phpBB, w/e)". You will see step by step guides telling you what you have to do to hack the forum.
    Now, try that with SMF. Didn't find any videos, did you? ::)

If you have ever seen a phpBB forum, you may have noticed how they don't even display the phpBB version they are using on the forum because if people know the version they are using, they can easily get hacked. :eek:

SMF is the most secure out of all of the forums I have used and it is also extremely user friendly. You can customize it in any way you like with literally no experience whatsoever.

Stick with SMF! :D

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have been told by a security professional that SMF is the most secure free, php based board. He also said that Vbul is the most secure php based board (counting both free and commercial), and the most secure forum he'd ever encountered was Ikonboard, a free, perl based forum that has been abandoned for years.

We cannot stick with SMF, it is too inefficient (certain operations lock mysql up for minutes at a time, rendering site unavailable) and it is struggling to cope with the sheer number of members we have.

8. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

well this forum is hardly a "piece of crap"

any idea when you'll change

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hey now why diss on RomUlation?

This is our home, if you're not happy with how things run here, then you can just giiiiiiiiitt ooooooooooouuuuuuut!

Just kidding, can't resist the South Park reference ;D

10. Seph

When SMF 2.0 is released we'll evaluate all the options and then move.

11. mgsdude

mgsdude Member

i personly think SMF is the best user friendly forum you can have, thats just my view :)

12. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

well you have a very high standards of a piece of crap

13. marcy

marcy Guest

Things you've never heard of must be crap, of course.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hey, I think RHDN also uses SMF so it's not that lame per se.

15. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

so anything you've never heard of is crap?

16. Seph

Okay enough people, you're all just echoing what I said... not adding anything new, locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.