1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Petition to add Region Duplicate info into ROM Details section, possibly patch?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rymel, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Rymel

Rymel Member

as it says above, i'd like to know if anyone else would like to know just what games are region-ports of others. i mean sometimes it's easy, but sometimes it's really not.

i don't know about anyone else here, but i like to burn a complete collection to discs, then keep a trimmed collection on my pc for personal use or if i have to load a younger gamer's cart. advanscene has this region duplicates feature, but they don't keep up with the releases as fast as romulation, nor does it have any sort of community to comment and possibly help report duplicates. so that means a lot of dupes in the older games actually aren't reported at all. i mean i can always check out pocketheaven for handheld info, but jumping between sites is tedious and i'd rather make a suggestion to make romulation even better.

so mods...would this be doable? i'd be glad to help with whatever i already know, but that's only for ds and gba for the most part, with some knowledge of other system's dupes.

i'm also not sure how the mods feel about this, but links to hosted patches to make roms work would be pretty cool as well. but since gathering the patches would be a pain, it would be understandable if it wasn't done at all. but hey, you could always just add the feature and have the community upload patches for review :)

edit: i totally missed the suggestions subforum...i don't know how. sorry bout that.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean region duplicates?

Like:
    Suikoden Teirkris (E)
    Suikoden Teirkris (U)
    etc?

And as far as patched ROMs go, due to there being numerous different patches and cards that is just not practical. There is a Trading Station where people can upload pre-patched ROMs, but it's just easier just to have the patches available on the forums for help. It's just easier to host Clean ROMs.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Sadly it'd be a rewrite of the entire core of the site, so it's not going to happen mostly because it'd take me a lot of time with very little return.

4. Rymel

Rymel Member

yes exactly like that. but sadly as seph has said, it's not going to happen. as for the patches, i wasn't referring to patches to make games work with specific carts. i was talking about translation patches and possibly hacks (ie pokemon hacks), something i think it perfectly doable. definitely NOT prepatched roms, that's just silly. :p

if threads were started for duplicates and gba patches (since there's already a ds patch thread), could they be stickied? pocketheaven is a GREAT resource for dupes and playable japanese titles, but their database stopped being updated in 2003, with ds games going onto...2005 or 06? and it definitely doesn't cover ds titles. what do you guys say?

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I still don't get it...
    Why would you download the duplicates? (Unless you actually like playing the other regions like I do).
    Isn't it obvious when it's a region duplicate? You can also search or filter by region...
    So if you don't want all of the (J), (E), (F), (G), (ES) etc. etc. just filter it.

6. Rymel

Rymel Member

i download the dupes for completion's sake, or they're part of a collection torrent. however when the japanese name is nothing like the american name, or there's multiple games within a series with slightly different names that may or may not have been released (ie: yu-gi-oh, pokemon fushigi no dungeon, and i think one or two of the gyakutan saiban games were ported to ds), or even when a game gets a complete name change in english between regions (tank beat 2 comes to mind) it gets hard to tell unless someone's left comments. there are better examples but i've just spent a week sorting and playtesting gba roms for trimming and my mind's a blank on examples atm. so to answer you...no, it's not always obvious, and searching by region is pointless when you're trying to find non-dupes.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I get what you mean-region differances...

Personally, i like the E roms, not because I live in a E region, but because (from my view) the game is more refined (ie E of legend of zelda has a language selector, where's the U lacks it)...

I'd get the J ones, but I can't understand them :(

As for the downloads idea, while it's good...it means a long wait for us to get back in...and as seph said, little return...

8. Rymel

Rymel Member

i think i'm just gonna try and compile a list, and if i get enough done i'll post it and see how that goes...