1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PC] Specs!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MasterofXD, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MasterofXD

MasterofXD Well-Known Member

So my current computer is terrible (one core, 1GB RAM, etc) and I wanna upgrade it for christmas. The budget is 900$ and I want it to be able to run skyrim on max settings. I asked on other forums and got this setup for cost efficiency:

CPU : Intel i5 2500K
    Motherboard : Asus P8Z68-V LX
    RAM : 8GB DDR3 kit (any brand)
    GPU : Nvidia 560Ti
    PSU : Antec TruePower TP-650W

Not including HDD and case. So is this a good setup? How much would these cost? I heard this is around 800$, but how much would it be in canada - B.C? Also, how would I know what to reuse? Like my case and stuff. My HDD btw is 500GB (external) and my internal HDD is 20GB (that's why I got a external HDD) but I would prefer an internal HDD that has good space for my minecraft servers, steam games, etc. maybe 400GB would be good enough.

So is it good and cost efficient? any swaps? I have to make this perfect since this will be my last computer for about 10 years,

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

go for AMD rather than intel. In your budget range, AMD performs equally well and is significantly cheaper. I would personally go for an ATI/AMD radeon over a nvidia 560 graphics cards, I and friends have been very disappointed with the game performance of the current nvidia line up. I run skyrim fine on an ATI athlon II x2 255 and a radeon HD5870

One thing that might be worth considering is the new AMD fusion APU. its basically a quad core processor with a built in radeon HD6550 (not quite top of the line, but almost) that can be crossfired with another HD6xxx series (as long as its a 6550 or higher) Taking this route means you get a processor, motherboard and graphics card for $300ish USD. I built a machine in september using this this configuration and was absolutely blown away by its performance, for the price paid. Since skyrim uses the oblivion engine, it would have no trouble handling the game.

I would strongly advise against reusing any of your existing components. Hard drives you want 1TB if you can, but with the current drive shortage/price hikes it may be sensible to get a smaller one to start with. Stick to either hitachi, samsung or western digital. AFAIK samsung drives are unaffected by the shortage.

ram wise, try to get Geil, mushkin or gskill. Watch out for speed compatibility, athlon II CPUs are limited to DDR3-1066, the phenom IIs and APUs are not.

you'll need a 3rd party cpu cooler, especially if you get an APU. look for reviews on frostytech,com, make sure its compatible with the cpu socket. AM2/AM3 coolers will fit FM1 sockets. Watch out for ram slot clearance if you get tall (= with heat spreaders) ram modules.

also use arctic silver 5 thermal paste, there isn't better.

3. MasterofXD

Best reply I had today! :D. Can you give me a parts list to be specific and the total cost/ cost of each part? You sound like you know what you're doing. The cheaper it is and still runs games well, the better. Like a whole parts list to be precise, since we'll give this list to his friend to build

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

OK, give me a couple of days and I'll get on to it.

5. MasterofXD

ok thanks! PM me when you have it Loony, a FULL parts list, which I can just give to the guy and he'll know what to get, gotta be like...every part. price too!

P.S Mods move this to non emulation please =p